Bump if you believe in equal pay for equal work

A couple of months ago, ABC News aired a report on how male managers and CEOs are still making more money than their female counterparts. (The report didn't say anything about non-management positions.) What do you think about women still being paid less than men 30+ years after that was supposively made illegal?

HotMama330

Asked by HotMama330 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't know if it is illegal or not. It is wrong though. You do the same work, you should get the same pay.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think that any person, be they man or woman, should get equal pay if they are doing the same job.
    Answer by Treefrog64

I kind of disagree. I've been in my field for 13 years. I don't think some guy off the street, with NO experience, should make what I make.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• When I worked in an office women didn't work as much as the men. They took off time to have babies, when their kids were sick, kids doctor appointments, to run kids to activities and they didn't work extra hours like most men did. I did work as much and made the same as my male peers but I was single and had no kids and could devote the time to my job. I do believe in equal pay for equal work assuming the woman is putting in the same amount of time and energy as her male peers.

Anonymous

• CraftingMama - The Equal Pay Act requires that men and women in the same workplace be given equal pay for equal work. The jobs need not be identical, but they must be substantially equal. Job content (not job titles) determines whether jobs are substantially equal. All forms of pay are covered by this law, including salary, overtime pay, bonuses, stock options, profit sharing and bonus plans, life insurance, vacation and holiday pay, cleaning or gasoline allowances, hotel accommodations, reimbursement for travel expenses, and benefits. If there is an inequality in wages between men and women, employers may not reduce the wages of either sex to equalize their pay.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

Treefrog64

Answer by Treefrog64 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/01/29/obama_signs_lilly_ledbetter_ac.html
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• When was equal pay made illegal?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I mean unequal pay
    CraftingMama

• There was a law passed in the 1970s that said woman have to paid the same as men for doing the same job.
    HotMama330

Comment by HotMama330 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Which law? Please tell me the name of it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010