How do I get my son to sleep through the night?

He wakes up every night like clock work. Every single 2 hours. Sometimes its almost like hes not even awake. He shakes and screams, like nightmares. When he is fully awake, he doesn't remember any of it. He will sit up for just a few minutes and go right back to bed. This happens all night long. On a few occassions he has asked for a drink, or his "buddy." He's only 2 but he can talk to you like hes 20. I know I can trust if he tells me hes not seeing scary things in his sleep! I don't know how to help my baby get a full night sleep!!! The funny part is, he also has no problems staying up during the day and taking his daily hour and a half nap. I really don't know what to do to help him. Do you!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I realy dont know what to say but just love and support him. If the screaming and shaking are real bad I would suggest that you talk to his doc about it. It never hurts to let the doc know that this is going on. It could just be him though. The other night my three year old got up and was sleep walking around in circles. Thankfully I was still up and could guide him back to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• ummm..i really wnt to help you buh not sure what to say... my son slps thru the entire nite...try googling some answers they have lots of resources
    thelook151

Answer by thelook151 at 3:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• ASK YOUR DR ABOUT A HERB CALLED MELATONIN MY 7 YEAR OLD TAKES IT AND THERE ARE NO SIDE AFFECTS BECAUSE ITS NATURAL AND SHE LEEPS ALL NIGHT ITS A WONDERFUL THING
    RAMIREZ3618

Answer by RAMIREZ3618 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• This sounds very familiar. Talk to your doctor about Night Terrors. My daughter had them from the time she was one - almost every night. She would wake up screaming, and eventually "wake up", but not remember any of it. She was also tired during the day. Our doctor suggested to stop naps during the day and only have a 'quiet time" where she rested, but didn't sleep. Then, avoid any sugar after supper, including juices, only plain milk or water. Keep with a bedtime routine. Then, if she woke up we just and went and comforted her, turned on calming music and tried to gently stroke her head, arms, and legs to encourage her settle down/wake up. She's grown out of them - only about 1 a month now (she's 7 and also had high language abilities). Good luck!
    GNMom88

Answer by GNMom88 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Sounds like night terrors, you need to discuss this with his pediatrician.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 4:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2008