What is the purpose of your god/goddess?

In the past, the purpose of gods was to offer support to their human pets. To give them an advantage in a conflict with enemies. To bring abundant crops. To heal illnesses. To make life better. In return, they were given offerings and devotion. Now, the sole purpose of having a deity seems to be to kiss invisible ass so you can make it to some kind of an afterlife. To be good little lap doggies. What, in your opinion, is the purpose or advantage to having your deity? What do you get for your service to him/her and your devotion? And, if nothing, why do you stick around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• cont...

My gods don't expect me to "Worship" them or offer anything to them. I devote myself to them freely, I give offerings of my own will. It's not required, it's not needed. But it's the very least that I can do to thank them for all I have every day.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• All of the above and more. Depending on the God/Goddess. They are my connection to something bigger, they are my protectors, my first defense against negativity, illness, stress, they are here to offer their love and guidance, and to remind me that I can't do it all alone. They help me in my day to day and are still there for me through the long haul... But even if they offered me nothing more than the understanding that they were there, I would happily follow the same path I do now. WHY? because they have us everything we have. Without the Gods, we have no life, we have no earth, we have nothing... Why should we need more from them than that? Isn't our mere existence, the existence of the world around us and everything in it enough to be thankful for? Why do we need more? They give us more than we can ever earn - no matter how many offerings or how much devotion we give - without them, we have nothing, not even us.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I guess I view the gods differently but I see them as part of everything around us and ourselves.. and to honor them is to honor life and everyone on the planet..I get peace, joy, love, prosperity, sex, food.. I can go on and on.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I see my gods as older siblings. They mess up sometimes. You may not always approve of what they do. You certainly don't worship them. But you know, when worse comes to worse, they have your back, because you are family, they just happen to be the divine branch of the family tree, while we are the human one.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I see God kind of as a sage. He doesn't demand worship or dole our commandments, IMO, but helps us to find ourselves and our way. Instead of interfering and pushing His own agenda He, IMO, sits back and allows us to come to an understanding and "enlightenment", to steal a term, about Him, ourselves, and the world around us. And like a sage, I don't believe its about black and whites or absolutes with Him. Its about the growth, the journey, IMO, and I don't really believe that believing in Him or recognizing Him is necessary to that growth - many cultivate their humanity and spirituality without believing in or focusing on the Divine. I believe He is because He is, and that's all. He's not really necessary for our life or spirituality, but He's there nonetheless, and you can incorporate Him into your spirituality if you prefer - I do. I don't believe, though, that He doles out punishments or rewards based on belief.... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My Gods and Goddesses do not expect worship or devotion. I do it because I AM grateful for their guidance,protection and just plain ole walking with me every day. I feel their comfort and strength every moment of every day. It's called faith.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I just want to add that without the gods we can not be, and with out us the gods can not be, it is a symbiotic relationship.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't serve any deity... I co-exist with them. Sometime they are my muse. I feel to honor them is to honor the lives and deaths of my ancestors.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Pnwmom said it very, very well.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• As a teacher
    I gain knowledge that I will be able to take into my next life
    My god does not want/expect me to kiss his/her ass

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2010