How to save money on groceries

I've heard about The Grocery Game and how it saves people money when they use the site, but I don't have the extra money to pay for their services. I want to save money on food, especially organic and natural foods and was wondering how I can save money without signing up for one of those coupon-saving sites.

How can I learn to save money on food? I know that people match coupons with sales, but I'm looking for ways to learn how to be a bit more wise when it comes to saving money. I also know that I can call food companies and ask for coupons directly, but I'm looking to save some serious cash. Can someone help me out?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Coupons, Go when they double and triple them. Most stores will let you combine store AND manufacturing coupons. Look on your local store's website for their coupons. Use the free discount cards that stores offer. Look at the Sales papers on Wednesday and plan your week's meals around what is on sale. Go with a list and don't impulse buy if you don't absolutely need it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I buy lots of things on clearance. There's a grocery store by me that puts out 1/2 price meat every day but it goes fast. You have to be there early. Yesterday I got 8 packages of ground beef for 1/2 price. I will use one today & freeze the rest. The trick is planning ahead. Dont buy things you arent sure you are going to use in a reasonable amount of time. Waste is a #1 way to lose money on groceries. Coupons are good but only for things you really use. Coupons are esp. good if you use them on items that are already on sale. Look at the grocery ads in your area. Stock up on items you know you use regularly when they are on sale & then you wont be caught paying full price. Compare prices for commonly bought things like milk & eggs at different stores. Those are things we usually just grab & dont check prices on. Taking time to do some research really pays off in the long run.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Couponmom.com is a great place to start. The site does pretty much what the Grocery Game site does, and it's free.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• eat vegan
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I can't give up meat and other foods, so being a vegan isn't an option.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Using coupons is a great way to save money. Also, if you buy something on sale and use a coupon you will save more. One thing that I do is a started making a list of what I need and only buying what is on my list. I also plan meals ahead of time so I know exactly what i am getting. Lastly, I shop and the discount stores, in our area it is Price Right. Their prices are lower then the local groceries and they have lots of produce. We also have a small market that has great prices on fruits and veggies.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Coupons and sales
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 2:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• coupons!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2010