Odd question, unsure of where to post...

Okay so, I'm not pregnant (yet!), but I have a question about delivery. During labor, your body releases a hormone called oxytocin. This is the same hormone that is releases when you breastfeed, so potentially...if you decided to trying pumping (not that I think that's a good idea) when you're full term, would it release enough oxytocin to put you into labor??? The thought just struck me earlier (notice I said THOUGHT, not IDEA TO DO IT), and thought I'd see if anyone knew...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• actually nipple stimulation (which is how the hormone is released during nursing) is one of the at home self induction methods.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• actually a lot of miwifes, and pastdue mommies use pumping as a way to naturally induce labor. it takes a looong time though
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 8:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• from what i hear
    VictinaG

• YES!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 8:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Well thanks, that definitely answered my question ladies! I'm so glad I found cafemom, lol seriously!
    Anonymous

• glad to have you here :) LOL

this is a great place when people stick to facts and not their opinions ;o)
    Anonymous

• yes yes and yes. You can use a pump to try to induce labor, or do like 3 hours a day of nipple stimulation.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008