fruit or veggies?!

So I took my 4 month old to the doctor yesterday and the doctor gave me the ok to start him with cereal, then baby food. But He said fruit first. I've always heard veggies first. What should I do?

Amanda704

Asked by Amanda704 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Listen, if you feel you baby is ready and the pedi says it's OK then do it. My first I have him baby food at 6 months, my second and third 5 months. Cereal they were all 4 months. Every child is different and only you and the pedi knows what is best. GL!
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i do fruit and i start with bananna's
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 8:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Some recommend fruit first because it's sweet and makes the kids view solids more favorably. Some recommend veggies first so as not to set the baby's mouth for sweets, but they recently did a study to see whether it matters, and they found no conclusive evidence that it did.

You could always split the difference and go for a sweet veggie like sweet potatoes or carrots! :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 8:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• "copied this from a web site.
    There are no hard and fast rules about which to introduce first, and it makes no difference to your baby in terms of ease of digestion. Some experts recommend starting with fruit first, because it's sweet, like breast milk. Others say that because humans have an innate preference for sweets, it makes sense to introduce vegetables before fruits, so that your baby will be more likely to accept them.

If you do start with veggies, your best bet is mild-flavored varieties like sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, peas, and green beans. Just remember that it might take ten tries for your baby to actually accept a new food, so don't give up!
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i recommend veggies first cause of the bitter taste before sweet
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• BTW, I started out with veggies first with all my kids.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It doesn't matter which you start first, but you may want to wait a couple of months. Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date. The AAP says that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months) see http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Mix it up do what you want. They sometime say fruits first because it the closest to the ceral, expecially when you start them on like banana ceral, etc.
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 4:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2008