• In the Spotlight:

Calling all moms. Help!!!

Hi I have a newborn, he is 6 days old. My question/issue is that he will ONLY sleep ON me. Either in my arms or in my chest at night... He will sleep a bit in a swing or such things (especially in the day) but at night he freaks out unless he's touching me.

I love that he needs me but its getting very tiring because i cant sleep on my back so i stay up watching TV or doing things to keep me awake.

Has anyone been through this? is there anything I can do???

----

ALSO

he is usually swaddled and isn't co-sleeping dangerous? How do you do it without putting him at risk for suffocation danger???

Zimsha

Asked by Zimsha at 2:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My suggestion is to lay down a sweatshirt, Tshirt, or some piece of clothing that smells like you onto his mattress. Swaddle him in a warm (but not too warm) blanket and lay him ontop. You could also try using a sleep positioner, which may help him feel more secure. A lot of babies have Whomb seperation anxiety. No, it is not an official disorder, but it does effect a lot of babies. What it is, is them freaking out about all of the space that they have no that they're born. It can be quiet intimidating to go from a cramped little space to an entire crib to sleep in. Therefore, you just need to create a space for them where they feel secure and warm without you having to hold him all night. You could also try a whomb sounds bear to help him feel like he's back in the whomb.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It's totally normal and won't last long. Enjoy it while you can. Just keepp trying to put him in his bed to sleep, eventually he will get used to it. Try swaddling him really tightly, it helps for some babies.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• have you tried putting him in bed with you? i used to sleep with my babies from day one, and i didnt have to lay on my back either. but its normal for him to want that closeness. in another couple years youll be wondering why he doesnt ever want a snuggle.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• YES MOTHER OF 4 KIDS TRY PUTTING HIM IN A CAR SEAT ONTOP OF THE DRYER WHILE YOUR BY HIM AND THE MOTINON SHOULD PUT HIM TO SLEEP LIKE IF YOU WERE IN CAR OUT FOR A DRIVE
    cearra2

Answer by cearra2 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My daughter is a week old and when she is up she expect me to hold her (2 in the morn) I actually put her in her basssinet last night and kept the lights on so she can look around. It worked for about 30min. But hey its a start. Good Luck!
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 2:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• All my girls did that. It will stop soon. Just keep trying to put baby in the bassinet/crib. I just had a baby 3 weeks ago. Finally a few days ago she started to sleep in her bassinet. It is hard for them to come into the world and be that far from you so fast. Just give it time.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Is he swaddled when asleep in the swing or crib...so sweet he is missing his mommy that s all
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• my daughter did that too they have trouble keeping themselves warm it is ok for small stuff animal shoved up against their back my daughter liked that when they put on more weight they will sleep better
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You could just give in an co-sleep. that's what I did. The snuggling is delicious.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• my almost 2 year old did that. i co slept with me on my side and him with his back snuggled into me.
    vleigh

Answer by vleigh at 2:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010