When do you have to stop

sleeping on your back?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 8:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i heard that when it is uncomfy for you but some also say around 16 17 weeks
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 8:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• it just started to get uncomfy for me im 29wks. so i dont anymore.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 8:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• The only reason it's dangerous is because there's an artery that runs down your back and to the baby, and if too much pressure is placed on it, it could cause a lot of harm to the baby. The only time I was ever comfortable sleeping on my back was when I was pregnant, so when I got big I had my husband push the bed against the wall, put a firm pillow againt the wall and just leaned back on that so I could have some cushoining. I couldn't tell you for sure if that's any safer, but I don't think laying on your back becomes a problem until it causes you discomfort.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• All this maybe true but as for me and this third child I can do nothing but sleep on my back & I am 37 weeks. My doctor knows and he just shrugs his sholders & says "Well your pregnant what do you want". So whether it's dangerous or not, I think not. I think it is just a comfort level as others have stated.
    Good luck!
    MaSina621

Answer by MaSina621 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• rule of thumb is once your in your second trimester. But starting early makes the transition easier if yuo are a back sleep. I wasnt until i got pregnant then that was the only comfy piosition adn now that im not im back to my side again... weird
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I always end up sleeping on my back in the last month or two; I cannot sleep any other way... had perfect pregnancies! cskomk0106 is correct, but I have never had any issues with either of my two... I swear the couch was my best friend in the latter months...
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 9:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2008