Do you make Christmas crafts/keepsakes with your kids? (Looking for ideas)

I'm having a Christmas party and would like to have a relatively easy craft for the kids to make. I've seen a lot that familyfun.org and parents.com suggest, but I'm looking for some "real" craft ideas - ones people have actually tried before, lol.

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions/ideas! Thank you! :-)

mommommamommyyy

Asked by mommommamommyyy at 2:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Well, I haven't done many yet, but there's a site that I visit daily called moneysavingmom.com and she has been posting all sorts of cheap, easy Christmas crafts/gifts. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• A friend of mine came up with one...its super cute and pretty!

Take a regular sized ball ornament (we used the pretty glittery ones, you can get a pack of 24 al wal-mart for $5) and some ice cream cones. Glue the ornament in the cone with a hot clue gun but make sure where the hook normally goes is the top and centered. then take some ribbon and put it through where the hook would go to make it be able to hang on the tree. Then you have some really pretty ornaments!
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 2:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• well my four year olds and i just wrote a christmas story. they came up with the idea for the story and i wrote it out then we all drew the pictures for it. they had alot of fun with that. we also decorated a "special" plate that we would put the cookies on for santa. i dont know how old your kids are so im not sure if either of those things would work or be fun, but my 4 year olds loved doing it.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 2:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I just posted this on my blog - we made Cinnamon Applesauce ornaments...They are fun and the girls loved them!

Here is the recipe and pictures - http://cherylhill.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy -
    Cheryl
    candlesbychill

Answer by candlesbychill at 9:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Me and my kids took plain bulbs and put our own names on our bulb.
    One year we made snow flakes out of paper and put in the windows.
    need color construction paper. cut in strips. the kids can make
    chains using different color paper. I use to let them hang them
    in their room window. I hope this helps
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Salt dough ornaments and cut them out with regular cookie cuuters then paint, glitter, put on beads, whatever to make them fun. Gingerbread houses made out of small milk cartons. I liketo oder from Oriental Trading the kits come in 12 pack they are realtively cheap, glass bulbs and pour some paint inside and swish around, make reindeer out of candy canes, with pipe cleaners for the antlers and small wiggly eyes and a red pompom nose
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Glitter ornaments.. They are a bit messy, but fun and easy! My 4 year old dd loved doing them. Search on YouTube for the technique.
    P.S. I used Murphy's Oil Soap (about $2) instead of the $6 floor cleaner/wax or the "Glitter It" stuff they suggest. Worked great and smelled clean too! LOL
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Love them! :-)
    mommommamommyyy

Comment by mommommamommyyy (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• have you tried letting the kids decorate their own stocking? my mom used to letd us do it when we were little......
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2010