How to handle a 4 year old

i need advice i have a 4 year old, for the most part she is good but there are times when she is not. she test ever limit there is. she doesnt listen to me like she listens to her dad. she hits me, yells at me, just laughs at me when i try to displine her. any ideas

bn2879

Asked by bn2879 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• time outs,take away favorite toys

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• time outs and stick to them. Let her know you are the parent and what she is doing is not ok.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Teach her. If she hits, tell her No Hitting. If she yells then whisper and teach her Inside Voice. She's finding her way. Guide her to be the kind of person you want her to be.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Spank her butt, some might not agree, but it works.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i agree with all the above, but the most important thing is consistency.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 2:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• times out dont work with me she gets out i put her back she gets out i put her back nad so on. i have taking things away even outings. i dont know what to do anymore.
    bn2879

Comment by bn2879 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Behavior chart might work. Make a chart of good things you want her to do & use stickers. When she fills a line with good stickers she gets a special treat. Ignore bad behavior. Do not engage her when she tries to get your attention in that way. Tell her "I dont hear you when you yell." And ignore her. Explain to her the behaviors that are "good" vs "bad". She thinks its a game right now. I agree with "show by example".
    Anonymous

• the behavor chart was a great idea i tried that, it worked for a short time but then she didnt care and ave up on it. i have tired alot of these ideas. i am lost of ideas. i have done time out take things away. i work with behaviral aults and children with mental disabilities and have so many isead that have worked with them i have tired them with my kids and with her it doesnt seem to work nothing seems to bug her. no matter i do. i have even cryed in front of her at my wits end.
    bn2879

Comment by bn2879 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You poor thing!!! I feel for ya. My 2 year old just went thru that. Nowe she just glares ate me. Had to do timeouts and no treats, etc.
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• May I tactfully suggest counselor for both of you? She may have a behavior problem that can be corrected with play therapy. And a non biased party will be able to suggest things that you may not have thought of to help both of you. You do sound very frustrated & probably need someone to listen to your concerns & give constructive suggestions. I am sure you love her very much & I am sure it makes you sad that you can't get along with her. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous