How do you bond with your SS?

He is 9 and VERY into video games and tv. I play Mario with him occassionally but I would like to expand activities.

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My step son is 10. We love playing board games and card games. He gets a kick out of beating me all the time. We also enjoy doing Mad Libs. It helps him in reading and knowing what verbs, nouns and pronouns are.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 4:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We wrestle and I help him with homework. He also likes playing in the woods and I like to go out with him.

Just find things that you have a common interest in and do them with him. Playing video games is a great start, maybe expand on that? Does he like to help you cook? Find some kid friendly things that he can do with you in the kitchen. Just find ways to include him in things that you do.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• he often tell me some of his secrets and fears in life
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Just about anything is good bonding time. Our kids love when we play board games or video games with them or even just go out and throw a ball together. My kids were amazed when I showed them that I could play basketball pretty good and still do a cartwheel, hehe. My hubby also tries to teach them a little guitar and drawing and I have taught them some arts and crafts...they love learning new things. Whenever I go to the store if I have a sitter for 2 of them then I will take just 1 and it gives us time to talk in the car and they love helping me out at the store too.
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 7:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My ss is 9 also and he loves being inside watching TV and yes video games so we play board games and also take walk alot and just talk...its hard to bond with a child thats not yours and its hard for them too..i found the best thing is to make sure he gets daddy and him time or night ....he will see your trying to give him his time and in return want time with you and him only...good luck
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 4:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010