If you had a 16 year old that got pregnant, what would you want her to do with the baby?

Abortion, adoption, or keep it?

My husband and I got into a little debate over this last night...and we don't even have a daughter, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 2:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I was in that situation - I was 16 even at that age I knew there was no way I could live with myself for aborting my child. Everyday I am so glad that I made the choice to keep her and grow up and be a mom. She is an awesome person and my best friend. Now, she is 16 and just the other day she commented on how I was her age when she was born. It was a lot of reality all at once, but by being honest with her about things she has been able to learn from the choices I made. If she were to be in that situation I would help her all I could, I know she would need it. Yes, she would be the baby's mom, but I would still be her mom and give her as much help and support as I could. My mom was helpful, but my MIL treated me terribly when I got pregnant - she called me a "cheap, two-bit whore" and told my hubby he should get rid of me while he could. I have never met a more vile person in all my life, and would never do that to anyone.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Keep it, if she didn't want it then I'll raise it. But I couldn't take having a grandbaby and not keeping it.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Adoption
    I no longer believe in abortion

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Kerp... wow. Are you listening to yourself? You need to log off of CM for a while because that was just uncalled for. You're sitting there insulting every mom on this site....
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Keep it, support her and help her grow and help her to learn to be the best mother she could be.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would want her to keep it... My grandma used to tell all of us that if we ever got in that situation, if we were woman enough to spread our legs, then we should be woman enough to grow up and be a mother..sounds harsh but it's true, I think.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You know what, OP? If I make an error in spelling or grammar I THANK the person who corrects me. I want to learn and have my errors corrected.
    But it seems Moms here at CM are hostile and don't care to learn. So, it just shows in what happens in your lives. Most of the Moms here are either too young or unmarried and getting WIC or liivng with their SO....LOL...and never getting anywhwere in life. OR they have sex and get pregnant when they are 16.
    Drop-outs? Hated teachers , so you make mistakes and love doing it just to give the teachers the finger?? ?
    Just get some education,OK?

----------------------------------------

So, what IS the correct age to have a child?
    Is marriage prerequisite to becoming a loving parent?
    Must one possess a low IQ to engage in sexual acts before marriage?
    Does living with ones partner negate while remaining unwed, negate the validity of their union?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• LOL Keep it. It would be hard on the family but think of how hard it would be on her to give it up for adoption, unless that what her choice. I think at 16 they are somewhat mature enough to make that sort of decision.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I am whole-heartedly against abortion, so that would not be an option. If she chose adoption, I would support her. Ive known several teen moms and I know how hard it is raising a child, especially if the "father" ditches the situation and his responsibility. BTW... that boy's parents and I would be having a talk about helping with the finances. If she decided to keep the baby, I would help her, up to a point. But like jnd951999 said, I wouldn't babysit for free or buy everything for the baby so that she could go out and still be a "kid". She will have to grow up very quickly, but I wouldn't turn my back on her.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would support her in her choice. Which one of those I would think was in her best interests would depend on a lot of things in addition to her age, but it would be up to her in the end.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010