Asking for all and any mom's advice about co - sleeping!

I have a 6 day old newborn and he NEEDS to be with me at night . but I cant sleep on my back and I'm terrified about co - sleeping on my side. How do you do this without putting the baby at risk for suffocation or anything like that but able to snuggle up and get a few hours of sleep with him???

-------------

A: He "needs" to be with me all the time but for some reason at night he especially needs to be with me. He is usually swaddled and has a pacifier when he will take it. He will sleep for hours on my chest but if i out him down anywhere he will wake up in about 20 mins.

Zimsha

Asked by Zimsha at 2:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get one of those crib things that attach to your bed. Stupid question, but why does he need to be with you at night? And not during his day time sleeping? Just curious. But look online, sure someone will give you a better description of what they are! Good luck.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• they make co sleepers its ike a bassanet but one of the sides come down so you can bump it up to your bed and touch him but having him in your bed is never a good idea if it has to be that way sleep in tight cloths with no pillows or blankets on the bed and make sure its only you and baby untill he is out of the risk of sid
    Izaclilsunshine

Answer by Izaclilsunshine at 2:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well, I'm not for co-sleeping but I know that make those bassinets that you can put right next to your bed if that's what you think you should do.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I do it. Here's how
    http://www.hobomama.com/2010/06/how-to-cosleep-safely-tutorial-in.html
    pacificamom

Answer by pacificamom at 2:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• http://www.armsreach.com/ - here's a link for the co-sleeper

If you can't sleep on your back, you can't have him in your bed. If he is in your bed, no pillows, no blankets. I did co-sleep with my son (for nursing on demand ease) and you HAVE to be super careful.

Is he sleeping on his stomach on you?

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• At home I co-sleep easily with my son, but when he was a newborn he had to be in the hospital for a while. The only way I could co-sleep with him in that situation was to tie on the Moby Wrap and sleep gently reclined in the reclining rocking chair.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I am not for co-sleeping either, but if I was to do it I would get that bassinet thing that the person above mentioned. It looks safe and you can still be next to the baby.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I've coslept for 13 months and never slept on my back, i usually breastfeed to sleep so i'm always on my side, no blankets or pillows, wear long pants and sleeves. they have back positioners for baby that will keep them in one position. if you're a light sleeper and not on medications or drinking i think it's just fine... i sleep with one leg at a 90 degree angle on my side so it would be very hard to roll over. you can always try keeping the swaddle blanket under your shirt then swaddling so it smells like you... not sure- you'll figure it out. whatever works best for you
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I'm not for co-sleeping. But, I know they sell things that you can't co-sleep soundly. Good luck.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i am not for co-sleeping... my newborn did the same thing as ur talking about... i never had him in bed - to sleep. he would sleep on me, then put him down and wouldn't last long. HAVE PATIENCE. it was 2 weeks of hell... then another 2 weeks of misery. by one month he was sleeping 6 hours. i had someone suggest that you heat his crib/bassinet before you put him down. microwave a bag of rice or a heating pad... makes sense... they go from a warm body to a cold crib. good luck. once you start co-sleeping it's hard to stop, then the toddler does NOT know bounders and mom and dad won't have any alone time....
    HappyMomma86

Answer by HappyMomma86 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010