TTC- period was late. Have questions.

My period was due last monday (9days ago)
I didnt get it till Sunday. The pregnancy test was negative. Some woman said that i shouldnt start the OPK until 11days after my period came- but i know that ovulation has nothing to do with getting a period and getting a period doesnt mean youll ovulate.

So am I wrong to start the OPKS now as if i had gotten my period on time... otherwise ill feel like i miss it.

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I wouldn't start taking OPK until 10 days after you start your period. It will be just a waste to start taking them now. Normally you don't ovulate until 2 weeks after you start your period.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Its really up to you. But the day your period comes (on time or not) is considered Day 1 of the new cycle. You get your period 14 days after you ovulate (unless your pregnant). Most people just assume you ovulate on day 14 of the cycle (counting from day 1) Not always. If you got your period on Sunday, count back from that day 14 days & that would have been the day you ovulated last cycle (if you did). I hope this makes sense. You dont always ovulate on the same day. You could do it day 10, day 11, day 18. I always start mine the first day I am sure my period is over. And keep taking them till I get a pos. result or my period comes.
    Anonymous

• You can ovulate and get a period,but if you don't ovulate,you won't have a period.
    Ovulation occurs and if fertilization doesn't occur,hormones trigger a period.
    This is why menopausal women miss periods and eventually stop menstruating. They are no longer ovulating

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't use OPKs at all.

I would just chart...much more accurate and you don't have to worry about when to test.
    Anonymous

• Sorry Blue - but you can have a period and not ovulate. I was having regular periods, but never ovulated when we were TTC my daughter. I was still shedding my uterine lining, just no unfertilized egg with it. One round of Chlomid to get my ovulation jump started and I was pregnant.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010