Dealing With Name Negativity?

Both my mother and my husband's mother seem to enjoy shooting our ideas for names down. And both of them have a LOT of ideas, none of which coincide or appeal to us. It's gotten to the point where we aren't telling either one of them any of our ideas, becaus we know we'll hear "Oh NO! You CAN'T name her THAT! I'll just DIE if you name her THAT!"

I'd really like to tell the both of them to blow it out their butts...

Anyone else dealing with this?
How are you handling it?

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 2:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Baby Names

• That's why we never shared the names until after the babies were born. I just didn't want to hear anyone's opinions.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Have some chocolate and don't tell them the ideas you have. Yeah I would tell them to blow it too. Sorry
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• She is your child. Name her what you want.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yup the other ladies are right.....keep it to yourself from now on and the baby is your baby not theres.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• tell them thanks for your opinion but our child our name.... my mother wanted me to name my son ian oh no no.... i told her it's cute but not what we want to name our son....
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Agree with mompam...just keep it between you and your husband. Otherwise, someone else is always going to shoot down the names. Plus, let's say your mom hates one of the names you like, and you decide to go with it anyway, how are you going to feel knowing that your mom hates it? On the flip side, you don't want to wind up resenting these people because you feel like they kept you from using the names that you really wanted. Don't discuss it with anyone (except anonymous strangers on the internet of course!)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• we quit sharing names with everyone too because we got tired of all of the input, my MIL even decided on a name for us and started calling him that before he was born! I really liked the name but decided against it because I wasn't about to let her name my baby! With our next baby we are going to keep names to ourselves again, but if you don't want to have to do that I would just say to them "hey, you had your chance to name your child and now this is my chance, and all of your input is really spoiling this for me so could you just tone it down please?"
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We dealt with this from my mother-in-law. I just told her that if she wanted to name another baby she should feel free to have another herself.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Too bad, sounds like they just got their privilege of participating in the baby name discussions revoked to me. Keep ti to yourself until the baby is born, and disregard them. They had their time to name a baby, now it is your turn.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My parents make faces everytime I mention a name we like, but refrain from any further input. My MIL on the other hand is dead set on having a future grand daughter named Neveah....over my dead body.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2010