Should kids with disabilities be "mainstreamed"?

It's public school.
There's an Aspie kid in my nephew's class who is very disruptive and shouts out horrible things like "you should die".
The whole class is suffering and it seems to trigger other emotionally vulnerable children to get upset. 8-9 year old boys cry in this class from what I'm told.
I think my sister needs to do something.
WWYD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in

• As long as he is able to be with the class then yes, he belongs there. However, maybe he needs a TSS?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would speak with the teacher.. or I guess in your case, talk to your sister about speaking to the teacher. Normally, I would say that special needs children should be with the other children--it seems like a good experience. But if this child is disrupting everyone & even upsetting the other children, I do not think they should be there.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It depends on how bad it is. I think in this kind of situation I would have to say something. If it is effecting the rest of the class
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• YES YES YES!
    My autistic son is doing SO much better in mainstreamed class.
    If your sister wants to do anything,she can discuss the issue with the school staff about having the kid removed to the hall for awhile with his aide,or taken on a walk.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• The whole class usually does suffer. It's unfortunate. It's unfortunate for every other student in the classroom and it's unfortunate for that student as well. Special needs students have SPECIAL NEEDS - that often are NOT met in a mainstream classroom. Rarely can they truly become a part of the class. Generally, they are left without actual peer connections and relationships. Well-meaning yet ill-informed parents want them "with their peer group" and don't bother to realize that the students of the same age? Are generally not their "peers".
    There are cases when mainstreaming is completely appropriate. Unfortunately, there are many many more where it absolutely is not.
    Anonymous

• I think as long as the class is not suffering as a whole & the child is benefiting then yes, mainstream. But if its a constant state of the learning environment being disrupted, then I do not see how any child is benefiting from it.
    Anonymous

• As the mother of a daughter with aspergers, I think if the child can be mainstreamed it should be done...most of these children have an aide or para....the childs IEP can be written for what to do about discipline problems...like he goes back to the autism classroom if he cant stop disturbing the other students but he should be able to mainstream.....my daughter loves her mainstream classes she has this year, even though its only science and p.e. I think its good for her and it helps with her social skills.....it also helps to teach empathy to the other kids.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• As much as possible - but in the case you mention, the child should have an aide - kid's mom need to request an IEP.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• YES YES YES!!!!!!! As much as possible. Children with special needs and children without need to learn how to get along with each other. Children that are normally developing learn to be emphatic (something that a lot of ADULTS can learn and do need to learn), how to deal with those with disabilities, how to treat others with respect, care and concern. Just because someone has a special need doesn't mean they need to be locked in a special room and ignored. In the last 10 years, my son has had special needs kids in his classes and it has been an amazing learning experience for ALL the kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• YES
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

Next question in
Is there a school?

Next question overall (Baby Names)
Dealing With Name Negativity?