When did you stop taking a shower/bath with your kids?

My sister has a 10 year old daughter that still takes a shower with her dad. I told her how I felt about this and she thinks it is not a big deal and that I am a prude. I don't think anything is going on between my niece and her dad, but it is just weird to me. How old is too old, to take a shower with your kids?

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• wow...thats too old for sure. Thats kinda gross...actually its REALLY gross.

My kids are 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 they take a shower with my husband or a bubble bath with me. But I make it point that they are 'STARING' at my pvt area.
    Anonymous

• that is crazy! My son just turned 2 in Oct and I stopped letting him see me naked just before his bday b/c I was drying off after getting out of the shower and he said "mommy's pee pee" that was it for me. I run into the bathroom if I hear him coming
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I never did, for me there was never a reason to take a shower/bath with my child and a 10 in the shower with her dad is creepy and I doubt CPS would think you were a prude. I'm not saying to report them, but what if someone who found out did?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have a dad I don't talk to anymore, but he has a daughter that is 15 or 16 now (he isn't with her mom anymore either) and when she came over on the weekends she slept in his bed with him and his wife until she was 13 years old I thought that was strange. She wouldn't sleep in her own bed. He had her on a binki until she was 6 years old (she called her binki from a baby until 6 a tit tit and I thought that was just strange). He took a bath with her until she was about 8 years old and then she would go in and talk to him why he was in the bath until she was 13 years old to me that sounds strange. I have girls though so they took a bath with me alittle longer than I would allow a boy. If I had a boy I would say maybe 1-2 years depending on how well aware of things he is. My oldest I stopped when she was 4 years she is 5.5 now. My youngest is almost 3 years cont
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Ew. I never started.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 3:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I still take one with her because if she hears the water run she is up taking off her clothes and jumping in with me lol even when I tell her no lol. I will probably wait until she is 4 as well. DH took a bath with or oldest only 2 times that was at like 2 and 4 months he was weired out about it at first lol. Then our youngest he did until she was almost 2 that was in a shower not a bath.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i take a shower with my 4 year old daughter but my husband never has he doesnt even change clothes in front of her. i think 10 is deffinatly too old especially with the father.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't think anything is happening between the two of them, just because my niece is really out spoken. If anything wrong or uncomfortable was happening to her, she would let EVERYONE know. She is not secretive at all. Sometimes she tells too much information. I really don't have any idea who's idea it was to start taking a shower. But knowing my sister, it was probably her, to save time. They are a weird couple. They leave the door open when they're going to the bathroom and aren't afraid to change in front of people. My sister has ALWAYS been this way. If they knew of a nudest camp close by, they would probably move there in a heart beat.
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• All of my kids do... they're 9,5,3. Any time my youngest hears the water running, he starts to strip. He loves showers.

My SO and I bathe together most of the time, nothing sexual about that either- we're scrubbing, talking, having a social experience, not a sexual one.

I can NOT understand why you crazy people believe that nudity constitutes sexuality. News flash, it doesn't.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I never did take a bath or shower with my kids. Why would I ? I bathed at night after they were sleeping.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010