Looking for discipline ideas for when my 14-mont-old pitches a whining-crying-screaming fit when he doesn't get his way...

I do believe in spanking, but for various reasons do not believe it is a good way to deal with this at this age. Has anyone done time-outs at this age? I don't want to put him in his crib, and he's not old enough to understand if he has to stay in one place. Just ignore it? Or is there something I can/should do to let him know this kind of behavior is not appropriate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He doesn't need to understand why he's in his crib,its just giving him time alone to chill out away from mom and dad.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would just ignore it and let him scream about it. My youngest is 16 months and I ignore it, he gets over it very quickly and is on to the next think. Their attention spans are pretty short.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• next thing not think sorry
    bjojola

• Sometimes just not giving him attention works. Make sure he's not going to hurt himself and walk away...to where he can't see you but you can see him if that makes you feel better about it. Still tell him what the problem is, sometimes those little buggers are still listening even when we think they're not.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• The only reason I don't want to put him in the crib is that I don't want to confuse nap-time with punishment.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just ignore it. All "babies" this age do that. So what.
    Anonymous

• First of all, he's not too young to understand time outs or to stay in one place. Just let that idea float away, because an infant as young as 4-5 months is able to understand that concept. It would be even younger if they had a larger memory when they were born, but that grows over time. My son has been getting reprimanded since I can remember and has been getting time outs since he became mobile. Which he became truely mobile just after his first birthday. Aside from standing up and walking along furniture.

Time outs - One warning, then put him in a place (on a chair, along a wall, on the couch, etc) without TV, music, or toy distractions near by. Tell him why he's there and how long he is to stay. Put him back silently everytime he gets up and restart the time. One minute for every year he is. So one minute for him.

When my kids have tantrums they go into their crib. Then we talk it out when they calm down.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Ignore his behavior and do not give him what he want tell he stops having a fit.

Answer by louise2 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• (Continue) My kids are two years old and one year old. I have had no issues with getting them to understand the word "No", times outs, proper behavior in public places, or any of that. It's all about being consistant, following through, and not backing down. It won't be a miracle worker over night, but if you give up they'll take control. Infants, toddlers, and children are GREAT manipulators. They will wrap you around their finger the first chance they get. Be the parent and hold your authority tight, because you will lose it if you let yourself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have a 2 yr old. And i try not to scream becuase thats all my mom did and still does and it drives me nuts so my daughter already knows my mommy look and when i talk to her in a certain tone. and she normally just stops but sometimes she gets brave and tries to talk back or rolls her eyes.
    Thats when i grab er by the arm and tell her TIME OUT TIME !!!! i tell her to grab her small chair from the esk and we walk it over to the corner in her room and i tell her to sit down.. the entire time she is crying and it breaks my heart but it has to be done. I use to ignore her but then sh thinks she can get away with screaming and yelling.. NOT HAPPENING.
    I have noticed when she is mad and cant get her way at times she just runs to her room and cries then a few mins later she comes out happy.. so she kinda puts herself in time out...
    Another think i have noticed is when i show her i care and put her in the corner when its time for
    MissChunkyLuv

Answer by MissChunkyLuv at 4:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010