4 months old underweight

My 4-month old daughter is exclusively breastfed and I would like to continue to have her exclusively breastfed until 6 months. She is very petite. We went for her 4 motnh well baby check up today and she is in the 16% percentile for her weight, 53% percentile for height, but only 1% percentile for her height and weight. The doctor wants us to supplement her with formula. I am against this because I think it is a very slippery slope when you start to supplement - i.e., your breast milk production drops and you start adding more and more formula out of necessity and convenience. My question for other moms is, have you had similar weight issues with your baby and did you supplement and did your doctor recommend that you supplement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had to have the yellow formula for a month or two.
    It really helped. She's fine now.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You might not be producing enough breast milk? Have your ever thought of that?

Answer by louise2 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• my sil had to do that with her now 5 year old. She wasn't producing enough breast milk. She ended up just stopping all together though.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I should probably add, that she eats on demand when ever she wants. I pump and feed her from a bottle as well. She will push the bottle away when she is done eating and will push away from the breast when she is done. Often times there is still milk in the bottle when she pushes away.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• there is a growth chart for breast fed babies. you should see where your baby falls on that chart.
    i don't think the weights and measurements are that important. if your dd is growing, and she has the right number of wet diapers per day, and she is meeting her milestones, then you are probably fine. failure to thrive should be the only concern, and it doesn't sound at all like you are concerned with that.
    i agree that once you start supplementing it can be a slippery slope.
    i think from conception on doctors make moms worry about growth and weight...and the truth is all fetuses and babies and people grow differently!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• btw, there is nothing wrong with being in the 16th percentile!!!!
    most of my kids were below that their first year!
    it is the nature of the curve that many will be in the middle, and some will be at the top, and some will be at the bottom!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My ff baby has never been above 25% for weight.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart3.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t022600.asp

this is a pet peeve of mine. why must dr's try to discourage breast feeding? 

good luck, and don't give up!

you can call la leche league for more support too!

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I should also add, that the doctor had the same comment at 2 months and from 2 months on she has slept with me and nurses a fair amount at night. She has continued to gain at the same rate. We went back a week after her follow up appointment to see how much she gained in one week - she gained 6 oz, the doctor wanted her to gain 7 oz. My husband and I felt at that point the doctor would have said he wanted her to gain 8 oz if she had only gained 7 oz. Our 4 month appointment was with a different doctor in the same group/office.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I am experiencing that with my son right now......he is 7 1/2 months old and only weighes 12lbs 13oz. He is less than 3% in his weight. He is 27 1/2 inches long though so he is ok in length. I tried to supplement with formula, but he refused. I have a dietitian working with us and am fortifiying my breastmilk to add extra calories. I will have to ask the name of the fortifier, we start with it this Firday. My son also has feeding issues......he refuses to eat antything but sweet potatoes. ive tred almost everything. It took a lot of work just to get him to take breastmilk from a bottle.....about 3 weeks to get him to take the playtex nurser...its the only one he took and he wont take the bottle from me yet, just other ppl. I know somewhat how you feel.... i didnt want to supplement either, but i will do anything to help get my son healthy. Good luck.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2010