What are some things you did for pain relief during labor?

We are thinking about going through labor without an epidural because I dont really want to be stuck in bed the whole time. Need some ideas to help with pain relief.

scurnes

Asked by scurnes at 3:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• tub or shower(my midwife and Doula had me so relaxed with my last I was able to just breath through them all. Went for 5cm to 10 cm in an hour), walking, relaxation, music, massage, hypnobirthing are some.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Read up on different childbirth methods, and practice using the techniques that resonate with you. It helps to practice a lot beforehand because it can be hard to utilize them if it is something you are trying to get the hang of in the midst of labor. I found concious muscle relaxation to be the most helpful of all during the really intense parts of labor. I would breathe really deeply and concentrate on letting my whole body relax and go soft. It helps make labor less painful and go faster if you can relax during the contractions.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• verbally abused my husband

seriously, it wasn't all that horrid. i walked through most of my labor.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think if you have an epidural you can't get up after that. I could be wrong, but they wouldn't let me up after I had one. Although I am not sure yet what we are doing for pain this time around (3rd baby) because I had problems with the epidural with my second and 2 this day have problems so I am trying to think of other things I can do other than anything in my spine
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I had an epidural. I also delivered my daughter two hours after arriving at the hospital, so I wasn't confined to the bed for hours while in labor. I made it to 8cm before getting the epidural. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 4:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Moving helps a lot. Having someone apply counter-pressure during contractions helps. Finding your "birth trance" is key. Once I remember to relax my face and breathe deeply, the rest is cake.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I focus on an object I brought from home and put up in the wall, every time I got a contraction I would focus and breath heavily in and out, it helped a lot.

Answer by older at 4:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I sat up. When a pain hit, I just leaned over. I did that until about 10 minutes before my youngest was born. But, they did an epidural anyway. I expected a local. Then, a nurses aide sat me up too soon. If a drop leaks out, let me tell you about the headaches. Thank God I had my adopted daughter there. She was only 14, but what a God-send. I couldn't move until after I took a pain pill. The headaches were so bad I couldn't see, couldn't walk without help. Couldn't do anything. You have to stay FLAT for 12 hours after the epidural. Try Reiki. It's a form of energy work that relaxes body and soul. Look it up. Your husband can learn with you. He can give you Reiki while you're in labor. It will help both of you. Uses your own energy. No harm. It's totally natural.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I walked, walked, walked. I used the shower & tub, listened to music. Did things to distract myself. The *shortest* of my labors was 36 hours, the longest was almost 8 days... Trust me, you can do it. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well when I went to the hospital to be induced they offered me some pain medication before the epidural. I declined so I do not know much about it.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 5:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010