Hypnobirthing?

Has anyone had experience with hypnobirthing? I have been reading a fair amount about the practice and have been a big proponent of meditation. But I was hoping to get some "real mom" feedback.

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 4:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I found it very helpful for the early stages of labor. During transition and delivery, I found some of the techniques from the Bradley method to be more helpful. I'd recommend reading up on and practicing techniques from several different methods, because until you are in that situation you can't really tell what you are going to find helpful in that moment.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My aunt is a very strong believer in this technique and plans on delivering her daughter that way. I have also heard of other moms being successful with that method....good luck!
    rbailey2414

Answer by rbailey2414 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I did Hypnobabies.

BEST decision I've ever made. I had a WONDERFUL birthing experience.
    Anonymous

• I read the Hypnobirthing book and the teacher for my birth class was in the process of becoming certified so she taught some techniques in our class as well. It was somewhat helpful to me. I definitely did not transcend to another plane where I was calm and peacefully breathing thru contractions or anything even close to that, but the breathing I did helped give me something to focus on and get me thru the painful contractions. I agree with the advice to read up on and pratice multiple techniques, or try to tailor them to what you want, so that you have options. I always say it's great to have a birth plan, but then you should have a Plan B and Plan C and so on because so many things can happen and go differently, if you only have a plan for one scenario you can end up feeling freaked out if things go a different way.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010