How can I get my 9 mo. old to drink more?

My son recently weaned himself from breastfeeding. Because of this I've been giving him formula bottles. He is only drinking about 12-18 oz. a day and he should be getting more than that, but he keeps refusing the bottles. He eats tons of solids and I've tried cutting back on those to see if he'll drink more but I'm not having much luck. He just got over a cold and an ear infection. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get him to drink more? Thanks!

emmaleejean

Asked by emmaleejean at 8:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies don't wean themselves that early. He was more likely going through a nursing strike. Babies do that during teething, while they are sick, etc. Maybe you could try to get him to nurse again.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• actually my sister weaned herself that early too. And my pediatrician said the same thing. Babies can wean themselves at any age. And my milk is now gone because of it so I can really go back to nursing.
    emmaleejean

Answer by emmaleejean at 9:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My son absolutely hated the bottle. I think it had something to do with the flavor or the texture of the nipple. He would, however, accept a sippy cup. I had to work with him. At first, he wouldn't suck on the mouthpiece. I took the thing on the inside out so the drink could be poured into his mouth. When he finally figured out how it worked, I put the piece back into the cup. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't know if you're still having this problem...but, is he on a cup? My youngest never really liked a regular sippy, but she took right to the kind with a straw. That may help/ Also, once they start on solids, they don't drink quite as much...they're transitioning. Does he get juice?
    HelloKitty1225

Answer by HelloKitty1225 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2009