Pregnant and depressed?

I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant and certain that I'm going through depression. I went through it shortly after my daughter was born, and I know the signs. I'm constantly exhausted, with no energy or motivation to do anything. I feel like I'm in a perpetual state of being withdrawn and my mind never stops worrying about one thing or the next. I feel overwhelmed and hopeless and just...sad all the time. I was fine before I got pregnant, I don't know what's wrong. I need to talk to my doctor but I'm nervous, I don't want to be judged or to be labeled a bad mother. But I really feel like I need to get some help, because I don't want this to go untreated after I have the baby. I am open to medication as they helped tremendously with my PPD, but I don't know what kinds are safe during pregnancy (and nursing should I need to continue them after the baby is born). How should I talk to my obstetrician about this? My next appointment is on the 16th. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should talk to your doctor about this. He/she will be able to help.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 5:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You need to tell your Dr how you are feeling. Then your Dr can decide what is best for you. They will not think you are a bad mother at all. There are meds that are better for pregnancy then others. But like everything there are side effects to worry about. With my second I was on meds the last month before I had her and for 6 months after. Good luck and hope the best for you.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Tell your Dr that you had some problems with depression with your first child, and you want to be tested to see if you may have the same problems with this pregnancy. If you explain that you feel like you may be having the same symptoms as last time and you are worried then you can the feeling that the Dr will think of you as a bad mother. The fact that you are worried about it means taht you are so far from being a bad mother that it is on the opposite end of the spectrum of motherhood. You know the symptoms and are trying to make sure that you don't have the same problems that you had previously. That is better than most mothers out there who are stuck in denial.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 6:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010