Do you bath a child or take them outside in the dead of winter with a high fever just to "cool him off" ? (recent arguement with a close friend.. I say No)

KeyAnna801

Asked by KeyAnna801 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my son had a really bad chest cold we were told to put him in a steamy bathroom and THEN take him outside (bundled up) in the freezing cold to help with his wheezing. You never want to get chilled with a fever, so I would have to say no don't take them out if they are feverish.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• no I wouldn't take them out with a fever I always gave them a cool bath if they had a fever to make their temp go down
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• well I heard from my doctor that when your child has a fever your not supossed to take them out or bath them because their little bodys get cold and then make their temp go up higher.
    KeyAnna801

Comment by KeyAnna801 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My DD had fever convulsions, so yes we would use a tepid bath, not cold, to bring her fever down, per her Dr.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 5:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• both ideas are just crazy talk
    Anonymous

• lukewarm bath does a lot of good. It's actually one of the best things you can do to comfort them, help with congestion, and help to gently break the fever.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 6:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i read when a child has a fever you put them in tepid water...not cold water who knows what the shock could do!
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 6:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• tepid bath is one of the ways to bring down a fever...NOT cold... lukewarm. And yes it works. Its one of the things they ask you to try b/f you bring a child in for fever.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2010