How can I stop my niece from biting??

I have my niece pretty much every single day..Her mom is young and in school so I have offered to keep her! She will be two in December and I have a son that will be 2 in January! And on a daily basis she BITES him..today it was THREE times..I love her to death..but I have had enough! I have tried everything; and absolutely nothing works! Sometimes he is aggrivating her but sometimes he just has something that she wants and sometimes nothing at all! Irreguardless..this is just unacceptable! I need any tips, or advice that you may have..PLEASE HELP!! What can I do to stop this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not going to suggest that you treat her like an animal... well maybe I am.

You are going to get people that suggest to bite back but this is no better than her biting you.

I have a handful of nieces and nephews that were also biters and I was the one that made them all stop. If they would bite me I would stick my body part in further so they had to keep biting until they cried and got sick of it. If they bit another child I would tell them to bite my hand and keep telling then until they bit my hand and I would stick my hand in further so again they had to keep biting and they would start to cry. I would then tell them that biting is not nice. I would keep this up and usually before the third or fourth time, they stopped.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 8:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• We used a combination of techniques with my daughter (17mths). One of the first items is communicating that bitting is not funny or cute; it hurts and it is not nice . It is bad and she has to say she's sorry. She looses privileges for biting, just as she would for purposefully misbehaving. Loosing privileges starts with me not playing with her (cross my arms and face downward telling her she hurt me). I have tapped her firmly on the mouth with a firm "no". Sometimes she would bite when she was frustrated. Recognizing this, we try to help her deal with frustration and work through it ask her "why is she frustrated? everything is ok and it is ok to be frustrated. I understand." My daughter is only 17months and now very rarely bites. I think the same principles may work for children of other ages.

Good luck!
    SkimVanilLatte

Answer by SkimVanilLatte at 11:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008