Who thinks that the "My Baby Can Read" movies work?

My husband wants to start our 6 months old twin boys on the My Baby Can Read movies but I am a bit against sticking my children in-front of a TV at such a young age. Has anyone used these movies? If so, do you think that it is worth purchasing them? My husband and I do not see eye to eye on this matter. I told him that I would think about it. I just think that children should not be sat in-front of a TV. I think they should have human interaction and play.

I don't really see how movies can teach your child better than you can as their parent. We are both not working so I feel like we could do the same as a movie. We can make our own flash cards, read to them, talk to them like people and not like babies to better expand their vocabulary. I do not baby talk to my boys because I feel like when you use proper pronunciation it will teach them to speak properly and more clearly as they get older.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance. Have a blessed day!

twin boys

MelissaGiles

Asked by MelissaGiles at 5:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesnt work because babies can't read! Period. Its an expensive scam.
    Anonymous

• If it worked they would send babies home from the hospital with it.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 6:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It doesnt work.....most children under the age of 4 or 5 cant really read. There are the very rare exceptions though. It is mainly word recognition. It is an expensive scam...i agree with annon.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have a friend who's son is exactly 7 days older than my DD and my DD can say soooo many more words than her son and she did the "My Baby Can Read." All, I did (and still), everyday since she was born was read books to her every night and that's how she learned to read. She can read some of her books all by herself (the ones with only like 1-3 words on the page) and she is not even 2 1/2.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• There are lots of things you can do to encourage getting ready to read (like the things you mentioned). These things dont cost $$$. A baby is not capable of reading with comprehension. Sure they can memorize stuff. They can remember things. That's not reading.
    Anonymous

• Reciting back a book by memory is NOT reading. Lots of very young children can memorize books. Sure, its stepping stone to reading, but its NOT reading.
    Anonymous

• This program does not work like it says it will. It has been around for years already. Your child may start to memorize and not actually read. If you and your husband want to teach your children to read at an early age than read to them on a regular basis. The more you read to them the more they will become interested in the process. When they are older you can teach them how to read. I have a friend who used the program and her son who is the same age as my son and is no better at "reading" or language than my son (who is 2 1/2). I would not waste your money.
    Amellor1

Answer by Amellor1 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thank you to everyone. I let my hubby read what yall said and I think he understands now why I dont want to waist what litle money we do have.
    MelissaGiles

Comment by MelissaGiles (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• As a reading specialist I think the whole thing is a scam. I would not use it with my own children. Even if it does work and the babies can recall the words they see, what is the long term benefit? Time would be better spent reading to, talking to, singing to and playing with your baby. Money would be much better spent on books, blocks, a sandbox and other open ended toys that allow them to explore and learn about the world.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010