Would you ask a childless couple, who doesnt want children, to be your child's Godparents?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. They don't want kids. If something happened to me my kids would be theirs and they don't want them.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 6:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• the godparents of my children are childless. they aren't even a couple, they're lifelong friends. and i have been lifelong friends with both of them. they treat my children better then any of my friends, they have always been there for me & for my kids if needed. i could think of no two other people that i know more qualified for the title. so yes, i would and i did. both of them accepted and were honored to be given the title.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yep. Godparents are meant to be there to help guide your child spiritually. Childless people can do this too. Godparents have no legal rights to your kids if you die unless you have a will written up stating differently.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• no

Answer by admckenzie at 6:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• No, if they didn't want kids what makes you think they will want or take care of yours?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well Midnight, I know of several childless couples that decided NOT to have kids but have a HOST of God children. They love the God kids
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, not only would I , I did.

My son's Godparents are a same sex childless couple.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Being in a child's life and taking care of them IF something should happen to the parents are two very different things.. I'm sorry but I thought the purpose of godparents where to take the children if something happened.. I still say the same thing.. If they didn't want there own children (not couldn't have children) I still stand by what I said..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It is not a requirement that God parents already have children. In the Catholic Church, at least, they just have to be Catholics in good standing.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i didnt pick them to be godparents incase of mine & hubby's demise. our parents will take on the responsibility if something ever happens to us, we've already discussed that. i picked them for the reasons purpleducky described. they were officially made godparents at the childrens' Christenings.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2010