What ever happened to Separation of Church and State?

This is USA! A country full of people from many different religions and alot with no religion. Why should Our Laws be based on any one groups religion. The Bible shouldn't determine what is legal and what isn't!

amydh

Asked by amydh at 8:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• "Separation of Church and State" is not a law...it was a suggestion from a Supreme Court Justice. The law is that the government cannot interfere with religion. There's no law that religion cannot interfere with government. The laws in any country reflect the religion of the majority. When most of America's laws were conceived the majority of its citizens (Native Americans being excluded as well as any tribal religions that survived among the slaves) was some brand of Christianity. The changes made over time to our laws reflect the change in the religious complexion of this country. If laws appear to be still mostly rooted in Christianity that's because the majority of voters have Christian sensibilities. This is both the blessing and curse of democracy.
    Babujai

Answer by Babujai at 1:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• True, true.
    Gilagirl

Answer by Gilagirl at 8:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Could not agree with you more! Very true!
    TrevorsMommy03

Answer by TrevorsMommy03 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Well....what laws are you talking about I wonder??? There are no laws in this country that were written on behalf of any religion I know of???
    Anonymous

• What are you upset about? There are no laws that came from the Bible.

And I think separation of church and state means that the state can't interfer or set rules for the church to follow. I'm not sure, but that's how I come to understand it. It doesn't mean the church can't be involved in state issues. Someone with more info please help.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 9:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• There is a separation of church and state. However, you cannot tell someone that they can't base their vote on their religious beliefs, which is something that most religious people do, no matter what the religion. I base my vote on what I believe as I'm sure you do, whether that be Christianity, Muslim, Buddism or Atheism.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I am refering to Abortion, Gay Marriage and Stem Cell Research mainly.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• They mean that they will not force a universal religion for everyone to follow in the US. That you have the freedom to practice any religion you want without the government coming in and saying you are not allowed to practice that religion. No where does it say you cannot base your voting on religious beliefs.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 9:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I wonder myself. But then my DH calls me the Antichrist's cousin so.....

kirsten1

Answer by kirsten1 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• There is separation, but, you have to remember..... laws are built on what the people of this country want. We do that by voting. The great thing about our country. So, if something gets voted down, it very well may be because of someones religious beliefs, but those beliefs are what make them what they believe in....
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008