Would you invite her?

The ultrasound to determine the gender of the baby, and of course health and all that stuff, is coming up. My MIL and I haven't seen eye to eye much lately, and I was thinking about inviting her to come with us to see the ultrasound as a bonding thing. When I mentioned it to my DH, he seemed uncomfortable.

So what I'm wondering is, is it totally weird of me to want to invite her, and would you invite your mil? Ever since we told her we were going to have another baby, she's been really distant with me, and seems to avoid the subject as much as possible. ..Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't. I would just call her later. Or email her.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's weird at all, but if it makes your DH uncomfortable, I would wait until afterward to tell her about it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I never think it is a bad thing to do something good.
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i don't have a problem with it, but if your husband doesn't think it's a great idea i would just wait. but it's awesome that you are trying to reach out to her and to build a bond with her.
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 6:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would ask her. Maybe if you explain that you want her to see the new technology that allows her to see her grandchild's face before he/she is even born and you want her to be a part of it. If you add in that even though you guys don't see eye to eye all the time you feel like she's just as much a mother to you as your own then maybe she'll bend enough to say she wants to be there and afterwards you'll feel that bonding you were wanting. Worked with my MIL until my SIL and neice in law moved in with her and sunk their claws into her head. Now we don't even talk anymore, but at one time we were closer than me and my own mother was.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 6:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My sister was acting kind of like that. I invited her to one of the appointments. She got to hear the heart beat and she was super excited to hear that, which made me feel good to see. With my mother-in-law, I also invited her to one of my appointments. It was when I was still having the regular office sonograms, so she was able to see the baby. My mother-in-law wanted to go to the one to find out the sex. I don't mind..I wouldn't mind her, my mom, sis, hubby, and son to be there, but my hubby doesn't want anyone else to come. I think you should do ask your husband asked, which is what I am going to do. I can understand him wanting it to just be us. Maybe you can invite her to one of your regular appointments. She'd at least get to hear the heartbeat, right? That might be enough to change her mind?
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 7:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would get a dvd of the ultrasound, and watch it with her at home. My issue with her being there is what if something is wrong, are you going to want her there right then? Do you want her there if you have questions or need to clarify family history?
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2010