How do you make YOUR french toast?

Never bothering making it myself at home. Any pointers?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Overnight French Toast
    2 large apples - peeled, cored and sliced
    3 Tbsp butter or margarine
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 cup dry sweetener of your choice
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup plant or animal milk (I use vanilla soy)
    1/2 cup yogurt (I use vanilla)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    4-6 thick slices of day old bread
    In a saucepan, cook the apples in the butter/margarine until they start to soften. Add the cinnamon, dry sweetener, syrup and cook until the apples are nice and soft. Pour into the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients except bread. Dip the bread into the milk/yogurt mix and layer on top of the apple mix. Pour the remaining milk mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate.
    In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 F. Uncover the baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I crack a few eggs into a bowl, add a splash of milk and a dash of vanilla, whisk its all. heat up a pan, spray with pam, dip the bread into the egg mix, fry til golden brown, top with butter, sprinkle on powdered sugar and cinnamon. the more butter the better the meltage yumminess the powdered sugar and cinnamon make! or you could add syrup instead of the powdered sugar and cinnamon.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• egg whites & cinnamon mixed together, lightly dip bread in. Put on hot skillet then cook each side until brown. add butter and powdered sugar

Answer by admckenzie at 6:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Cassie does it the same way I do except I have a griddle :)
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• LOL forgot the eggs!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• MILK, EGG AND CINNAMON. MIX ALL TOGETHER. i LIKE USING TEXAS BREAD
    IT THICKER. DIP BOTH SIDES AND FRY IN A PAN. YUMMMMMMY
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Same but nutmeg instead of cinnamon.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• start with a good loaf of bread- day old bakery breads are good. make a mix of eggs and either milk, cream, or 1/2 &1/2. I have added vanilla, flavored creamers, cinnimon, nutmeg, maple syrup, sugar, even butterscotch schnapps depending on my mood and what I have in the house. Dip bread in the whisked mix- slowly, you want it to absorbe the custard. If you use a cheap white or wheat bread it will be doughy and soggy. cook in a comination of oil and butter. the oil to keep the butter from burning. You can also make a "sandwich with strawberry jam and cream cheese. then dip the outside in the batter and cook. I also like ham & cheese sandwiches this way. have fun with it. use whatever YOU like.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i get a loaf of hearty country style bread off the day old rack at the bakery, cut it into thick slices, and put in a greased 9x13 pan. i whisk 8-10 eggs, mix in a bunch of cinnamon, then about a cup or so of milk, and pour it over the bread. i let it sit a while, then flip over the bread slices. then i cover the pan with foil and bake it at 350 for about an hour and a half.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 7:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I always use Challah. It holds up really well to the soaking in eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon. I cut it into medium thick slices and soak a couple at a time, then cook on the griddle. I make extra to freeze for easy breakfasts.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010