• In the Spotlight:

Do you think this is my sisters fault?

So she took her baby to the dr. He's 10 months and the dr wrote her a prescription for croup meds so she gets out of the dr office at 7:30 pm and just decided it was too late to get his prescription and nothing was open..Well that's bull cuz walgreens is 24 hrs and so is rite aid so she was basically too selfish and to lazy to go get his prescription so he didn't get his meds that nite..well seh never checked on him throughout the nite and when she woke up and went to check him his chest was sunken in and he was having reprocussions and she rushed him to the hospital and the dr told her he was almost in respritory arrest and if the breathing treatments and oxygen didn't work he would have to be life flighted to the closest childrens hospital she was also told it never would've happened if she would have got his meds and gave them to him that same nite the dr gave her the prescription...she's always been selfish but, I never thought it was this bad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Do you mean he was having retractions and not reprocussions? Was he having any stridor? Because that's what a child might get if he has croup. Also, croup is rarely life threatening, it is usually more scary for the parent than anything else.
    I agree with Anon. if the doctor didn't tell her the croup was severe, than she might have thought it wasn't that big of a deal. Severe croup, which would cause respiratory failure is extremely rare, and only occurs in less than 1% of cases.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Call cps for medical negligence if you don't think she's a good mother
    Anonymous

• I agree with Carrie. However..if his condition was that bad then who knows what one dose would have done. Just be there for her and try not to judge. She screwed up and im sure she is beating herself up over it. If you feel that she is negligent all of the time then you neeed to talk to her or CPS
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Okay so I have been known to not rush out to get the meds. If the ped never told her it was urgent she may have thought there was little difference between getting the first dose at 8 pm or 8am. Croup is not typically a life threatening problem. If the baby was THAT bad a few hours later how negligent was the ped to not inform her of the seriousness of the condition and not do an in office breathing treatment? She was checking on him through out the night. That doesn't sound very negligent to me.
    Anonymous

• I guess it depends on what the script was for. If it was an antibiotic (often perscribed but utterly useless in a virual infection such as croup) then the ER doc was was horrible alarmist. If it was for a steroid (perscribed in severe, severe cases) then I would ask if the ped thoroughly explained to your sister just how bad this case was. In most cases croup is not life threatening. Scary yes, but not typically dangerous. If his episode was from the croup, only hours after his ped visit, the ped should have firmly stressed just how bad it was.
    I'm glad the baby is okay.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just because a store is open 24/7 doesn't the mean the pharmacy is open. But Walgreens pharmacy usually closes around 9 or 10, so yeah, she sounds pretty negligent to me. What an awful way to learn a lesson. On the other hand, sounds like he might have needed to be hospitalized from the get go if he got so bad at night though. I would think about getting a new doctor.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 6:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Maybe she decided it was late the baby was sick and tired and needed to get to bed and she would get the meds first thing in the morning. Sometimes what seems like the best idea at the time does not always turn out to have been the best answer after all. She was checking on him or she wouldn't have caught the signs of distress and rushed him to the hospital. She may be selfish...I didn't know her to judge but I can't say she is based on this story alone. I bet she is kicking herself enough right now and I sure hope you have not shared these feelings with her. I am glad the baby is okay.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Honestly, it's really hard to place blame, especially with a medical issue. From what you are saying it does look as if she could have prevented all of this, but then again- I don't know the full story.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Very selfish, her childs health should have been number one priority.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes she was. Hope she learned her lesson and I hope her baby gets better soon.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010