Do you have or do you know of anyone that has

an open relationship?

If you have one, explain the concept to me.

If you know of someone that does, how do you feel about that?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I've known two couples that tried an open relationship. One is now divorced because the man broke the rules and had multiple affairs behind the wife's back. In the other case, the husband is currently doing 25 to life for fatally shooting his wife and the other woman they brought into their marriage. In both cases the couples had set down rules they both agreed to, and had rationalized their choice with all kinds of reasonable-sounding arguments of the sort you usually hear: wanting to "spice things up", "people aren't monogamous", "It's actually more normal to be this way".

I think that open relationships are a bad idea in general.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I do not have one, nor would I have one at this point and time in my life.

I have 2 friends that do have open marriages. Both are extremely happy in their relationships. Both have set guidelines/rules that both they and their spouses have agreed to abide by. Both are very open with their spouses about the who's/what's (and vice a versa). Both are in their 40's. One has had an open marriage for 10 years the other for nearly 15. It's what works for them.They always tell me that the key is: BOTH partners have to mutually want an open marriage, both partners must be very secure in their relationship (the marriage) with no jealous issues/no communication issues/no major relationship issues in order for things to go smoothly. Another thing they have both said at different times is that an open marriage is not a fix for a marriage with problems/issues. Instead of "fixing" problems/issues it ( in most cases) just makes them worse.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I know someone that does, but its a one sided, she is allowed to see others as long as he chooses them, but he is not allowed to be with anyone else but her. Their relationship turned into a total disaster. His idea was if he knew about it then it wouldn't hurt him, because he was afraid she would cheat. I don't get it, its crazy.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't see any good coming from it.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 6:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010