Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can she sue?

My cousin has claustrophobic, she can not deal with elevators, it's just to much for her so she takes the stairs, not much better for her but better than a elevator! Well she had to go to SSI today and could not because they do not have stairs accessible to the public, she is angry and frustrated, she asked me if she could sue, I don't think she can, I told her to complain.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Health

Answers (9)
  • well probably if she has an actual diagnosis from a dr, but why sue when usually you can just talk to someone about it

    Answer by angevil53 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • All public building have to be accessible to all handicaps. If they aren't accessible, they have to a least be able to get assistance from an employee to make access easier. She has a disability. It may not be sueable but she can make a change.

    Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • You can sue for anything these days. Id complain first and go from there.

    Answer by Steph319 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • The government will always protect themselves in some way, maybe she should just talk to them over phone or mail info.

    Answer by sugary804 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Well,that's illegal as far as what do they plan to have people do in case of a fire? As far as suing,for what exactly??

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • If there is no permanent damage of some type you can't win anything, you have to prove damages.... but like the others said, its illegal to not have alternate routes.


    Answer by bjojola at 6:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Probably not. She is just looking for a free ride. Lol. She needs to call them to set up an alternative appt. Be prepared to provide documentation from a doc.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • it's the united states of course she can sue

    Answer by lovingedward at 6:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • you can get ssi for being afaird of an elevator ? I had to fight to get it with for son with down syndrome


    Answer by smilingmomma at 6:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
Nauseated for 2 1/2 weeks?

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Help plz adult content