What is the best way to try to help a child with behavior issues and learning at home?

My son is very hyper, I dont want to always woop him, he run away from a timeout spot. I get very fustruated with myself not knowing how to help him with behavior and also his learning at school and home.

sugary804

Asked by sugary804 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Consistent rules, consistent expectations, consistent discipline, consistent bedtime, consistent good nutrition, consistent quiet times/quiet activities, and calm consistent role modeling.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Nothing to add to that - that's exactly how!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Constantsy, also look at the schedule are you and him trying to do too much too fast.... is it all crowded with little to no down time/relax just chill toghtether without stress time.
    Is he doing TV and then HW? Play with the schedule a bit that may help. Also where is he doing his HW? And how do you react to his moving around... if he can work standing up let him as long as he can do it.... (easier said than done I know ) but it works.
    Pick your battles ...
    visual schedule... have a layout from the beg. of the day, first this then this then this (it doesn't have to be pictures, words are fine) just like an agenda he can check off (like busy executives do )
    CONSISTANCY, CONSISTANCY CONSISTENCY
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think some people have really nailed it on the head- you have to be consistent. Also... if 'wooping' him isn't working, it might be time to try an alternative, effectual discipline.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would be very patient and consistent. Make a chart that shows rewards and consequences and give him plenty of sensory breaks.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The first answer is correct.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2010