How would you handle things if your child misbehaves at a playdate?

My child was so bad at a playdate and hurt another child...Aside from being completely embarassed and upset, I apologized over and over to the childs mom.
Now, I am getting the cold shoulder from this mom. Though, I understand how she feels and I would be annoyed as well if a child hurt mine, I understand that children do things like this from time to time and we, as parents need to discipline and teach the correct behavior (which of course, I do/did).
Just wanted to hear your thoughts...anyone ever have this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when my son acts up, I use the 1 2 3 magic technique. He gets a "break" when needed. I think this other mom is being over the top by giving you the cold shoulder. You did the right thing.
    Amellor1

Answer by Amellor1 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I had a biter... I was NEVER further than arms length at that time in her life. I would hold a conversation with other mothers but rarely did I make eye contact with them - I was watching my daughter. If she lunged to bite i grabed her up so fast and we left... and I told her it was because of her behavior. I left many a playdate until she got the message.

After that she was a perfect angel and was invited back many times over when she was out of that nasty stage. She was even asked over for drop and go playdates.
    Anonymous

• how old is the child..cause if he is under 6..i think that u did the right thing..if u say u disciplined him then dont worry.i agree with the
    @ amerllor the other mom is blowing it way out of porportion..u cant apologize enuff for your child being a child...unless your child pulled out a knife,gun,or bat an tried to do serious harm..hopefully u will be able to find new play dates to go to..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 7:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It does happen and one thing I learned a long time ago is to not let things like this bother me. You have to stay out of the kids fights so you don't ruin your friend ships. I have a friend who got mad at another mom because of something that happened between the kids. Funny thing is, kids get over it very quickly and the moms hold on to things, so they ruin friendships because of it. If you disiplined your child then I would not worry about it. Sometimes kids get into fights and hurt other kids when they are little it is hard, as long as you take care of it I would not worry. If the mom gives you the cold shoulder I would just ignore it,

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Your child is 3!
    The other mom needs to read something about age-appropriate behavior and deal LOL

Until the age of 4, children have little to no impulse control. They may push, hit even bite and this is NORMAL, even if not acceptable...still normal and should be expected.
    They just need redirection and guidance.
    When my son does any of the aforementioned behaviors, I focus on how it made the other child feel...and I try to focus mostly on the other child; not giving my son any more attention than I have too.
    Sometimes, the physically impulsive child is just trying to get a reaction! I'm still trying to figure it all out, but anyone I know with any background in child ed or multiple kids thinks up-tight moms are hilarious.
    Just breathe and learn to pitty the moms who don't get it. Maybe their next child will be as spirited as ours!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• have to say also, reading back your post...
    Any mother who looks at a 3 year old thinking "that child hurt my child, how dare he!"
    has issues.
    We are the adults, they are the kids...and they are learning! It's survival of the fittest for them, we teach them
    this whole "civilized society" thing ;)
    If someone has a grudge about a child, she is nuts. If she thinks your a bad mother, then you don't want her around anyway.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thank you so much ladies for your input. My child is only 3 and I know I did the right thing. I was just feeling so bad that I needed to share. I really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks again and happy holidays to all!
    And you can bet I will be within arms length at the next playdate!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2010