my milk supply

ok so i posted b4 about breastfeeding pain well it turns out my baby had thrush. ouch for the both of us. now im have and even bigger problem i was unable to feed the baby due to the sever pain cracks and bleeding it was awful. i was trying my best to feed at the boob when ever the pain wasnt so bad but pumping all the while unfortunetly my boobs do not respond well to a pump after about 20 min of double eletric pumping i only get like an ounce all together. ok now to thequestion my milk supply is drying up and we have both almost recovered from the thrush so is there anything i can do to help increase my milk supply bc i really really want to breastfeed him till at least 6 months. i am trying to still pump every 3 hours with no response and now trying to get a nursing in every 4 or 5 hours bc im still sore and trying to make sure my breast are fully healed.

sherlyn.maske

Asked by sherlyn.maske at 6:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is a breastfeeding group on here that can offer you ideas and support. Look under the groups tab near top of page. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Oatmeal every day (I dunno why it helps...)
    Fenugreek
    blessed thistle
    frequent nursing/pumping (simulate a growth spurt
    Plenty to drink. (dehydration won't help you any)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• as soon as you can put your baby to your breast all the time.
    kellymom.com is a great website too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I believe that the pumping, while not actually giving you something, should be of benefit. It simulates the sucking of a baby, but because the physical closeness, touching isn't there it is often hard to actually get something.

Get back to nursing baby as soon as possible. I have been in your position and it wasn't fun, but it was worth it. Your baby might want to nurse a little more frequently to bump up your supply.

Drink a lot, go to kellymom.com, oatmeal, fenugreek and everything else the others ladies before me have said.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• nurse, nurse and nurse some more. 1oz of output for pumping is fine, normal even. You probably dont have a supply issue at all. But the best way to increase supply is to increase demand. Keep that baby to the breast. Make a day of it, just you and baby in bed nursing and napping.
    Oh, and make sure you are getting plenty of water.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• All good answers from the PPs.

Pump out put is never an indication of supply.

Nurse nurse Nurse. Eat well. Stay hydrated. Wear your baby in a Wrap Or sling. Baby wearing helps many women with supply.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just keep nursing. Watch diapers. 6-8 in a 24 hr period means he's getting enough. How long since you started having problems, like, how long since you've nursed regularly?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• it has been almost a week since ive nursed every feeding. i am no trying to latch him on every other feeding or so bc im still im loads of pain but i can tell that its working bc my breast are geting engorged again so something is happening. thank you all for you answers cant wait to be breastfeeding again all the time.
    sherlyn.maske

Comment by sherlyn.maske (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2010