why is the penny so different from all the other coins

y is abe lincoln facing the left an all the other prez facing the right?
y is his coin brown or copper color an everyother is silver?

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 6:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Entertainment

• I have to be honest...I can't say I have ever thought about it! :)
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 7:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• The nickel faces right. The other portraits actually face left. It's because the portrait the penny was taken from was...facing right.
    They are made of zinc and plated with copper. This combinations of materials once cost less than a cent to mint each penny. This wouldn't have been true if it was made of silver, which the other coins were originally. If the material was worth more than the minted coin, people could just melt them down and sell them for more than they are worth.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 7:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i heard a different story from that..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• well i think i heard this story but i could be wrong abe lincoln was 1 of the president to the slaves so that why the penny is copper i think
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• @ Ricanmami..that's the story that I just heard..that lincoln had a black mistress who he had gotten pregnant an it was about to b exsposed so he made the descion to free the slave..that's y the penny was brown/copper..an when the other president turned the backs on him..that's y they all face the right an he faces the left...I just heard it a couple of hrs ago from someone else..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• that's how the government printed it out. Sounds logical but an explanation.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 1:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2010