Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do when one doctor says my son is autsic and then i go to get him in school and they say no?

Im at a loss i want what is best for my son and am not gettin the help i need for him. i dont know where to turn or what to do next but i know he needs help and so do i

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (6)
  • Don't trust the school. Get a second opinion on your own. Make sure it is a diagnosis from a Psychologist or Developmental ped.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 7:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Get a third opinion. Id personally go with the dr first but sometimes drs are too quick to diagnose. Your childs school sees him more often and may be able to better evaluate. Im also torn here...get another opinion

    Answer by Steph319 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • it costs schools more money to educate an child with autism. Go to a developmental psychologist to get a definite diagnosis. I have seen kids who are definitely on the spectrum and the school will refuse to diagnose it as such unless the parents push the issue.

    Answer by layh41407 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • his doc was a psychologist who did dx him and thanks for all the feed back.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • I think becaue you have documented information from the DR the school has to go with that. I would see if you can get an advocate to help you. I know if our town we have things like 504's and IEP's. When parents go to meeting with the schools ad aren't getting the help they need they can get an advocate to help them. I would push the school and not back down. You need to do what is best for your son.

    Good LucK!

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Have you written to your local school district & requested that your son be formally evaluated by the district for special education services? If not, then you need to do that in order to get the process started. If the district has evaluated him formally, what is their reasoning for denying your son an IEP & services? Was he found to be developmentally on track by the district? If so, and you disagree with their findings, then you can request to have an Independent Educational Evaluation at the district's expense. Make the request in writing to the district supervisor/director of special education services. The district will then give you a list of independent evaluators to choose from (none of them will be school employees). Most districts will go with the results of an IEE, but if they don't, you can take them to mediation or Due Process if you still disagree w/the district's decision.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.