Should married couples have exes as Facebook friends?

My husband and I have this rule no exes as friends on Facebook. Ok I thought this was a rule that would never matter because why would an ex even send a request? Well go figure one of my exes sends me a request. I really don't know why because he said I broke his heart when I left him for my husband. Even though this was over 13 years ago.We still didn't end on good terms. But I noticed during this numbers game one of my friends have exes as friends and he's married. And its not like he tried to hide it. So I guess his wife doesn't mind because she is a FB friend too and she didn't say anything. So what do u think? Is it appropriate to have an ex as a friend? P.S. I don't want my ex as a friend. I ignored the request over a week ago and I told my husband.I was just wondering because my friend has an ex and I was just curious about those who do and how it works out. I am very happy with my husband and I don't mind the rule! Wow some people are so negative!

True_Gator_77

Asked by True_Gator_77 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• We both have ex's as friends on facebook, we have been together 15 years, married for 13. So it was so long ago, not all relationships ended on bad terms, there are some people that I genuinely like and like to see pics of their families and occasionally hear how they are doing. it is the same with my husband. People are exes for a reason, but maybe that reason isn't that you hate them, I was so young when I dated someone other than my husband, so those high school relationships did not mean anything. He has children with some of his exes and one is also friends with me on facebook. I guess it also goes along w/those that think that facebook is like a cheating gateway drug.

I guess it does depend on the terms and conditions you put on the facebook account, I never thought about it, because if he really wanted to be sneaky he would not need facebook to do it.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have exes as friend son face book. I have been married for 13 years and I have a wonderful relationship and husband. He knows that i am just friends with these people and nothing will ever happen with them. Also, these are exes that I had back when I was in high school and we have all grown up a lot since then.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• What's the big deal...my ex husband is my best friend and I have several exs on my facebook but I'm not about to take it anywhere else. They are an ex for a reason and that's where they belong but it doesn't mean that I don't ever want anything to do with them ever again. Now, if that ex is putting pressure on you for something else, then that's a different story and they should be unfriended.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• IF you and your husband made that deal then dont break it. Its not worth it. Especially after 13yrs. Just ignore the request
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have several exs on FB. He is aware of them and does not care.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If you so many of you say you have them as friends but hardly talk to them what is the point?
    Anonymous

• My husband does..& so do I. I was thinking about this the other day.........not really sure? He doesnt talk to them(that im aware of)..& sometimes mine will comment my FB & he's never said anything. His exes are also long time best friends of his.. hm.
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 7:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't know why an ex from 13 years ago would want to "friend" me or why I would want to be his "friend". I am married now and it was 13 years ago and it ended badly. You sound like it excites you more than anything. It shouldn't even be a question, you made the rule so follow it. Why does it peak your interest and why are you making excuses as to why it should be ok for you? Would you be ok if it was your DH's ex who wanted to be his friend? These are only questions you can answer and it sounds like you are coming here for the "ok" to do this.
    Anonymous

• Good advice Steph319. My Dh and I wouldn't have ex's as friends. call us old fashioned but we don't see the point, they are ex's for a reason.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I'm not married, but one two of my exes are on my Facebook friends list. My SO is well aware of it and doesn't have a problem with it. I rarely chat with them, and one of them is married with children and is VERY happy with his marriage
    Anonymous