How can I produce more breastmilk?

I've been pumping for almost 3 weeks and am still not able to produce more than 2 - 3 oz. (both breasts combined). My sons are premature and are not able to nurse on me yet.

djevica

Asked by djevica at 12:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take prenatals...like 2 or three a day it will make you massprodce. U will have to pump. But thats how I did it,
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 12:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Take fenugreek! Just go to Walmart or GNC and buy a big bottle. The dosing for helping with breastmilk production can be found at www.kellymom.com, just do a search for Fenugreek. If this doesn't help you can talk to your doctor about perhaps getting a prescription for Reglan which can also help.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Fungeek, oatmeal, and lots and lots of water. I know pumping is a pain in the butt, but the more you do it the more milk you will produce. Take care of your nipples, make sure you use cream so you don't get sores or chapped spots. As soon as they will let you, try nursing. Obviously nursing is the best way as soon as you can. 2-3 ounces for a new mom isn't bad, really. One baby would probably drink about that in one setting. Keep up the good work! It will be totaly worth it in the end!
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 12:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Ok....I had this same problem! I remember calling the advice nurse in tears cause I just was not producing enough milk and I was determined. She told me to relax, drink one beer (imported beer is the best for some reason) and then take a nice hot shower. I did this and BOOM, I was making milk! I could not believe how well this worked. The beer before the shower really helped me relax and the hot shower really sped up the process of making milk. Good luck!! :)
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 12:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• homeboundmama - the beer was suggested because brewers yeast can sometimes increase supply : )
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Ah, there ya go, brewer's yeast. You really need to try this...it really did work wonders. (about the 2-3 prenatal vit's though, I don't think that is a good idea) Too many vitamins are not a good thing.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 2:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Apple juice works for me, and a lot of rest! Take a nap and get some sleep!!1 a real sleep.

Fish soup helps too!
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• drink a beer thats what the nurse told me it will make it flow
    hope it helps stick with it
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2008