What if reading/posting on Wikileaks cost you~Your Job?

U.S. agencies have warned some employees that reading the classified State Department documents released by WikiLeaks puts them at risk of losing their jobs. But what about students considering jobs with the federal government? Do they jeopardize their chances by reading WikiLeaks?

It's a gray area, said law professors and national security experts who spoke with CNN. The topic has been debated intensely in the past week in legal and academic circles, ever since several U.S. universities sent e-mails to students with warnings about reading leaked documents.

They say students ought to be mindful of their future careers when commenting on or distributing the documents online -- especially those planning to seek jobs in national security or the intelligence community, which require a security clearance.

"The security clearance asks whether or not you're a risk when it comes to sensitive material. This could be one indicator that, when taken together with others, creates a broader pattern that might suggest you're not a person to be hired," said Pepperdine University law professor Gregory McNeal, who specializes in national security law.

"They may very well take into account your opinion, as a job candidate, whether or not you think WikiLeaks is a good thing or bad thing for the country," he said. "It's a small issue, but one to approach with caution if I were a student seeking a job in the national security field."

E-mails went out last week to students at several schools, including Boston University's School of Law, Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service and Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs, cautioning students against commenting on or posting links to the documents on social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter.

~~~~

Thoughts?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband's company was told any trace of the site on home computers would result in an NJP and a loss of all security clearences. I think if that's how things are in the military then it's how it should be across the board even in the civilian sectors.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 7:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• bullshit...
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 7:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

__________
    How would they know?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Interesting but I think they are worried about the wrong person. They let this guy dump twice before showing any interest in stopping him and even now they are hoping someone else will take care of him so they don't really have to pursue it. This last dump is not even aimed only at America. Cloak and daggers, it's just them trying to get credibility back.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• cause every single website you visit leaves tracks, and unless you have a high level piece of software for wiping a drive a computer forensics expert can find them even after you've deleted them or overwritten them.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 7:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Given the leaks, I see nothing wrong with it... Especially when security clearances are concerned.
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• How would they know?

His command can come in here at any time and go through our computer and anything else they feel my husband personally uses.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Wonder why they want net neutrality???
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Grly since an Army PFC working as in Intel analyst was involved I'm inclined to agree.

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) Given the leaks, I see nothing wrong with it... Especially when security clearances are concerned.

I agree, grly...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2010