This qustion is for a mom to 3 plus kids....

I'm a mom to three girls ages 9 yrs and 31/2yrs and 15 months....As time goes on it seems to be so hard to decpline the kids...it seems like no one listens to me and I'm just getting so stressed out....I wanted to know how do you decpline and will things get better..I just want them to listen to me and when I ask them to do something for them to do it..

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 7:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have three boys 9 5 and 8 months. Mine are the same way. Wide open. Both of my older ones are day and night different so I actually started tayloring my plan to the individual. Same rules different consequences. Because what works for one does not work for the other. It has made my life easier.
    4psinapod

Answer by 4psinapod at 7:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Hi, I have four kids of my own, plus two bonus sons, so I've got this covered. Number one rule is that no matter what, YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THROUGH. If you say "Kid, if you do that one more time, I am going to do *this*", when that kid does *that thing* one more time, you MUST follow through. No getting around it, no second chances, DO NOT repeat yourself and keep threatening to do something. And whatever punishment you come up with, make sure it's a) something you actually CAN do (like timeouts and taking away toys) and b) that you really will do it (like spanking, if you do that).

Find what they like to do the most, and take it away. My son loves video games. When he misbehaves, which is rare, we take that away. Find what they hate the most, and use it. My daughter HATED to have her nose on the wall, so when she acted up, that was her punishment. Whatever you do, be consistent. That's my best advice.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 7:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My kids are 11, 8, 6 and 4. For the oldest I take away the things she likes, her I-Pod, DSi and computer. For the two middle ones I do the same, usually they can't play the wii or watch tv and have to go to bed early. I put my littlest one in time out. I make the older kids write essays about their behavior and how they will improve in the future. It will get better with CONSISTENCY. Mean what you say and say what you mean, do not make idle threats and let them know you are not playing.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 7:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You have to follow through on disciplinary actions and not give in because of a cute face or an I love you.  When you give a time out or take away something they like you have to stick to your guns so they know you mean business and will think twice before misbehaving again.   Also pick your battles wisely or you will spend a lot of time disciplining.

Answer by older at 7:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• By the way I have three kids, this is how I dealt with him when they were kids, they are now adults and we have awesome relationships.

Answer by older at 7:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• *meant to say *them* instead of him!

• I have 3 daughters and 1 son. Ages 13,9,9,2. I felt like you do for about 6 years. Lol. It was utter chaos and felt impossible to discipline. It does get better. Be consistent and hang in there. Keep up the fight (so to speak). One of my dtrs had a temper tantrum every day for 8 YEARS of her life and I had to tell her NO for 8 years. It will get better.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• my kids are 7, 5, 2, 2 and 6 mos.
    there are always battles to be had, but choose them wisely. if they are tired, or hungry...forget it. i also choose not to choose battles in public i am fortunate that my first child is very obedient, and he sets examples for all the others.
    it is a constant thing though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010