Is it okay to call to police on your child?

Police was called on a 7 yr old boy who punched his mom. He is usally such a cry baby but she threated to throw something away and he punched her.

maire1988

Asked by maire1988 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think calling the cops on the 7 year old was necessary.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would take him down to the police station if he continued and have a police officer talk to him about why he shouldnt do it. Scare him.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Dear god no. People will call the cops about anything these days. If your 7 year old is hitting you, it may be time to reevaluate your parenting skills, not bring law enforcement into it. The fact is, kids younger than that are being arrested for assault, battery, and all sorts of other BS. Don't expose your kids to that soulless system for something so stupid.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 8:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Holy shit, are you serious? Calling the police on a a CHILD? Whatever happened to being a parent?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Okay if he was like 16-17 scare the shit out of him. It's called tough love but 7 years old now come on people
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 8:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• SOMETIMES, there are SOME kids that have SEVERE issues and go completly out of control .... in those cases yes. A 7 yr. old that hauled off on mom but does not typically have this type of behavior in ALL locations... HELL NO!!! I'd deal with that myself at home... and nobody better put up a Strawberry Shortcake either LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Absolutely not. That is ridiculous.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have told many parents to call the police on their child. If the child threatens to kill themselves or seriously harm or injure someone else then it is necessary - regardless of the age. I have known seriously homicidal kids in elementary school. Quite capable of really going through with it and killing someone. If you can get the child to the emergency room to be evaluated by the staff or to call the police. To have no record of doing anything can actually come back and bite the parent in the butt later if some harm comes to someone else or the child. It can be looked at as neglect, that you as a parent did not get the help your child needed.  But you don't need to call because your child won't finish their homework, do the dishes, or is having a normal tantrum.  Some kids have rages that are quite dangerous.  Even preschoolers can rage so bad it is a danger to themselves and others.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Not on someone that young. Even if they are threatening to kill themselves they don't even understand what that really means. Now someone about 12 or older? If you've tried everything then maybe.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• That is a bad parenting choice if you ask me. Besides what is she going to do when he really does something serious next time. She has pulled the worst card out of the deck way to soon if you ask me. Second, whatever happened to talking to your child? Teaching them values like hands are not for punching, etc. So many ways this could have been handled better in my opinion. Sounds like an emotional response and a bit of a power struggle to me.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010