HELP! IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MOLD!

Well, we are moving into a rental. The house had tenants living in it for over 12 years. My husband and I wanted to have the duct work cleaned out since we both suffer from allergies. So, today the duct people came out. They told us for 2 zones, it would run almost $400 to clean and sanitize the vents. As they were working, they showed us mold on the vents themselves on the inside. If you ran your finger on it, it was grayish green and dark. They told us it would be almost $500 more to treat the duct work for mold. He ran a test on the furnace, a little pen and at the end the color of the water was purple which he said indicated mold. I am very upset. Does this mean the entire house has mold? He claimed the upstairs furnace and vents didn't have mold. I am so confused. Please advise. We notified landlord and he didnt sound too happy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Mold grows where things are cool and damp. It's probably just because the area where it is moldy had the vents blocked for a long time. A lot of landlords (and tenants) do this to stop paying for the other tenants' heat.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• ? I 'm confused. This is a single family home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Can you get a second opinion?
    Anonymous

• We could...at our expense!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If this is a rental wouldn't it be the landlords responsiblity to take care of. Mold is a health hazzard!
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 8:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Sure it is the landlord's responsibility. He is not too happy about hearing the news today....and I am not sure we are even going to be reimbursed by him. I hope so otherwise I will deduct it from next month's rent and if he has an issue with that, I will see him in Court and not only deal with that, but probably get an entire mold inspection!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• The landlord is responsilbe for cleaning the mold. If you have to pay for it, send a copy of the reciept along with the exact amount deducded from your rent check. If your landlord starts sqawking, remind him that it is his house, and if he wants to rent it out, it has to be clean. Also, you are not the ones that caused the damage, so you are not responsible for paying for the clean up. You might want to look into rental laws in your state, just to be sure.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 8:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• @A.Perry. I agree. I don't know why we had to pay for the duct cleaning. They did get a certificate of occupancy and half the window levers are broken and don't work yet they passed. I think they know someone in the dept. I also feel that having the furnace, and ducts checked should have been part of the CO inspection,. Go figure. I am very upset. We haven't even moved in yet!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Mold is everywhere. Probably 99% of home ducts have mold in them. Unless its severe Im not sure i would worry about it. Use a good filtr and you should be fine. The landlord could refuse to let you do the duct cleaning because if they dont know what they are doing they can tear the duct work.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Tech said on a scale from 1-10, the mold was about an 8.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010