Santa: R u lying to your kids?

I heard that when you tell you kids to believe in Santa your really lying to them? Because we know we are the ones buying the gift not some man with a flying sleigh.

I kinda have mixed feelings about it. I knew Santa wasnt real because my mom would say I dont have money this year and our family would get adopted...lol Now for my son I don't know what I want to tell him. So far I have been able to get him gifts and pretty sure that will remain the same. I kinda want to while he is young get into the Santa thing and play it by ear the rest of the way. lol

Do you guys feel it is lying to your kids?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• I think the Santa thing gives them incentive to behave and earn the gifts rather than just expect them.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My son believes in Santa. I am not going to tell him that Santa isn't real. He will figure it out when he gets a little older. I never felt lied to when I found out the truth.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It is not lying when you are bringing joy and excitement and anticipation of a magical man and a magical day, there is nothing like it, and those who think it is a lie and deprive their kids of such magic, have no idea what they are missing.

Answer by older at 8:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think its a lie. I stil tell my son to behave or he wont get what he wants for xmas, works fine w/o santa!
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I lie ,,, I was raised that way and carried it on to my kids. LOL sometimes i wish i would not have tho. Like when money gets tight or I just dont feel like lying about the jolly ol man.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Can one man fly all over the world in one night and place presents under the tree.. Of course not but it sure is fun wondering how he does it, what he will bring, If I will see a glimpse of him this year.. We are only children for a short period of time. I see nothing wrong with it. A child's imagination is priceless. All the fairy tales, myths, etc came from something, somewhere.. I grew up this way, it is not a lie to me. It is magical, fun, exciting.. Kids will figure it out soon enough he is not "real" but it doesn't stop the santa thing or watching all the christmas cartoons we have grown to love.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• tsk tskTalk about making a moutain out of a mole hill! lol Come on! Its SANTA for cryin outloud!

madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't feel like I am lying to my kids. I think it is all about the spirit of the holiday and I think people need to do what they think is best for there family and judge other people for what they do. I personally think it is sad that some people feel it is lying to children. When do we stop with all this stuff, and just let kids be kids and enjoy the excitment and wonder of the holiday.

Maybe because so many people are on hard times right now they feel that they can't get their kids a lot, although that is what we have all these organizations for. We donate toys and if there was a family in my area that needed help we would help them. Also, I don't think little kids that really still believe get upset by what they get, I think they are happy with what they get.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Nope. Im not lying..
    SANTA WAS A REAL MAN! He was a rich man that would go to the poor houses & leave gifts for kids...
    But even without that... If Im going to tell my daughter santa is fake. i will have to tell her Barney, Elmo, and all the other fake people out there are not real. its just a person in a costume..
    Let them have their little fun.. that magical place only a child mind still has while they can.. They will grow out of it way too soon! and understand what christmas is about & it comes along with tons of stress of getting the right gift..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I kids beleive, when they stop fine I'm not gonna try to force it on them.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2010