• In the Spotlight:

US to Canada

Any Americans move to Canada? I wondered how life differed there from here. I live in Detroit so I am right next to Windsor and go over to party sometimes. Like when you move to Canada are you automatically eligable for the helath insurance or do you have to wait? Do you have to give up your American status..like when people come to America and become citizens...can we do that in other countries?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Travel

• I moved to Canada from England.  You are eligible for health care immediately, all you have to do is show the proper paperwork when applying.  You will need 3 pieces of ID, one to prove who you are, one to prove that you are in Canada legally and one to prove that you are a resident.  I usually use my passport, Canadian citizen certificate and a utility bill with my name on it or a tax statement.

Canada also allows you to have duel citizenship (which I have).  In order to become a citizen, you need to be in the country for 3 out of 4 years, so every time you leave the country, the clock stops (sort of speak).

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My grandmother was from Canada. You have to wait, I think 3 years to become a Canadian citizen. I do believe you will be taken care of if you need medical assistance.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Oh wow you can become a citizen in another country...cool!
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• im not sure
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010