Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can you file for child support before the child is born?

My sister told me i should do this i didn't think they could do it now

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

Answers (5)
  • If he admits to being the father then you can try to get him to pay for the doctor's visits etc. If he questions the paternity though then it will be one heck of a fight and may not be worth it.

    Answer by aeneva at 8:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • He needs to admit to being a father but you wont get a dime until after the baby is born. You can get the paper work ready and the moment the baby is born do a DNA test prove his the father and get the child support

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • No, child support and custody are only decided after a child is born.

    Answer by scout_mom at 9:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • You can file before the child is born as long as he admits it is his. But if he doesn't then you have to do DNA testing and get court order and stuff like that. You need to contact a lawyer.

    Answer by MarvelousMama at 11:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Also, I am sure it all depends on what state you live in on what the laws are.

    Answer by MarvelousMama at 11:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.