How many parents out there have picky eaters?

I was curious to know how many mother's allow their children to be picky eaters?!?!? The reason Im asking is because I noticed these days so many parents allow their kids to be picky eaters. Now when I was growing up whatever my mother feed us we ate. We could not afford to be picky eaters. Even if we was picky eaters no way would my mother let that happen. When she made dinners we ate what she made or we did not eat at all.

I have seen soooo many mother's give excuses for their children saying if I do not feed them what they want they will not EAT I just think that is BS! Cause my mother would not allow us to be picky eaters and I ended up being obese teenager anyways. I ate what my mother cooked for us. Im just trying to understand why Mother's these days allow their children to run their own life and say what they want to have. I do not believe that if you do not feed your child what they want that they will not eat. I think when they get hungry enough they will eat what you made. I just think parents are giving way to easy these days with their kids and letting them be the adults and choose what they want. I will not have a picky eater! Amen!

deevega

Asked by deevega at 8:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• i have a yellow eater
    term used in autism diet book
    she craves because of gluton issue
    going to try cfgf diet when i can get doctor

she is three/ moderate autism
    and yes, i do give in, have to pick battles especially with autism, but she will be seeing a medical doctor when i do this diet as she will need her diet monitored by medical professionals
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I didn't. My kids had a limited tolerance for very hot foods, so that was always added last and to individual portions only. But dinner was what they had to choose from until breakfast. I never minded that they went to bed hungry by choice.

I always took their preferences into account when I was cooking... but sometimes they changed their minds, and I didn't run into the kitchen to make anything else.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• my daughter isnt really picky...but she goes thru phases..just like i do!! like alllll summer long, all she ever ate for lunch was peanut butter sandwiches..then sept-nov all she took for lunch was tuna...now shes onto bologna..she does the same thing with snacks too..whether it be pudding, rice krispy squares, granola bars, or yogurt...lol..its soooo annoying!! but thats exactly how i have been my whoooole life!!
    but..when it comes to dinner..she eats whatever is in front of her..the only thing she doesnt like and will not eat is carrots..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yeah now that is a medical issue...so that is understandable and cannot be avoided.
    deevega

Comment by deevega (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i have a picky eater. i was a picky eater. let me get something straight for you....picky eater has to do with what you prefer to eat. yes, sometimes i didn't eat dinner because i refused (and still do refuse) to eat fish or seafood. that was my preference. i prefer to eat nothing rather than to eat fish. i don't understand how you say your mother would not allow you to be a picky eater. would she put a funnel down your throat and put the food down if you refuse? because that is the only way i can think of. it's not about letting the kid be the adult. everyone has choices. the parent makes what the choices are. in my house the choice is eat your meal or you'll be hungry. that's it. my kids don't run the house, just like i didn't run the house when i was a child.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• my son isn't picky but he does go through spurts were he eats a lot and then doesn't eat really anything for a few days. But i don't allow him to not eat what I serve. My mom had twin "change of live babies" that are 13 yrs younger than I am and she makes them special meals b/c they dont like what she's making. It drive me crazy b/c when I go over there to visit and we sit down to eat she's up for like 10 minutes before she even sits down b/c she has to make so much food
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• To parkers Mommy..that is what I am saying... my mother made us dinner and if we did not like what she made..then it was our choice not to eat it. CAuse she was not going out of her way to make another meal. No she did not force us to eat anything I did not say that..I just said either we ate what was given to us or we did not eat at all. Of course everyone has choices..but I believe parents give in and let their kids pick the choice they want for them.
    deevega

Comment by deevega (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I didn't until a few weeks ago. I've never had a problem with my son (5), but now my daughter (2) only wants certain things. If I let her she would live off of mac n cheese and Ramon noodles. I was picky growing up, but it's probably because my mom almost never made dinner. It was pretty much fend for yourself. I do make her what she wants every now and then, but when I don't she's learning that whatever I make will sit on the table until she eats it. If she doesn't eat dinner then she gets dinner for breakfast. If she doesn't eat breakfast then she will have it for lunch and so on. She let's me know if she really doesn't like something and then I won't make her eat it, but any other time I do. I don't want my kids to be picky when they get older.

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Um no. My daughter gets what I make for dinner, if she doesn't like it then she goes to bed hungry. Period. I'm not a short order cook thank you very much. All my kids will be told the exact same thing.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Ok the one thing I let her slide on is red meat, I actually don't use red meat anymore because ever since she was a baby she strongly disliked it. So now I use ground turkey or chicken in anything that requires ground beef, and if I make steaks I make her a porkchop instead. I promise you that is it though.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010