How do I get the kids to eat their veggie?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 8:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• For that age group the only thing I can think of other than hiding it in the food would be to include them. Have then help you make up a weekly meal plan and then make them help prepare it. They're more likely to eat it if they make it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If you've waited until they're teens, then I think you're a bit out of luck. The easiest way is to make it just a regular part of their meals from the time they're infants.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Teenagers?

Forbid it.

It has as much chance of working as anything else at this age.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Im not one to encourage tv influences but dd eats a lot of veggies because of the cartoons she watches. For instance celery,,,she eats it because the Wonder Pets eat it lol...If you are worried about vitamins then buy some sort of supplement whether its pediasure milk shakes or flintstones vitamins
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• At the age of teenagers, they either like them or not. You can't FORCE that age to eat anything.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My kids are younger but my oldest is 7 and QUITE PICKY. I give him small amt and he has to eat it. This has been a process I first started with things like spaghetti because the sauce is a serving of veggi. I talk to them about nutrition and what happens if the dont eat veggi. I agree the older the get the harder it can be. BUT casserols and sauces can help get them to eat veggi more. Often kids must tr things a while before they acquire at taste for it. My son use to eat litterally like 5 things and I have broaden his diet alot.....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• As teenagers, you can't force them to eat anything. If they don't like what you are making, then they have the option of cooking the meal on their own. Actually, have them plan 2 meals a week...the meals have to be well balanced and healthy. Help them plan, shop, prepare and clean up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well, I think it might be a little too late NOW to worry about it. My sons are grown and they'd rather have fruits and veggies than crap ut that's how they were raised. When they got allowance money they walked to the Farmers Market for pineapples or kiwis instead of to the small grcery store for candy and chips. We made it an adventure to find new fruits and veggies that they hadn't ever tried and they looked forward to trying new things. As adults they love to cook and try new foods. It's starts young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I took my teens shopping with me and let them pick out ones they like. Then let them make pizza with their favorite veggies on it. Stuff like that.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My mom used to cook brocolli, carrots and cauliflower until it was very soft and then mash it and put it into meatloaf. When you make spaghetti, they are getting veggies in the sauce, but you can always add extras to it. Be creative and hide them, that's what my mom always did and she raised 8 kids and no of them ever knew.
    Keilman1

Answer by Keilman1 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2010