do you make your own baby food? What about baby cereal?

If you did. Do you like makeing them? How do you store the food? What recipies do you have?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to make food but never ceral. I would cook carrots, squash, potatos, anything like that. Then I would puree it and freeze it. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I just take a spoon of what we are having. I don't make special food. Like at breakfast, I make a smoothies for DH and I save a piece of banana and mash that up. At lunch if we are having tacos, I save her a slice of avocado. It's healthier to just give the baby real food.

We don't do rice cereal. It's not very nutritious. It is just bulk. Until 1 year, the majority of calories need to come from breast milk or formula.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• nurturebaby.com has a ton of baby food ideas, and it is very simple. Organized by age group. Rice cereal is not necessary at all and it's gross. I bought a bunch of containers that were small, like the size of a baby jar, and froze them that way. Some say a covered ice tray.

I did blueberry applesauce a lot, mangoes, pear, carrots, peas, greenbeans, squash, cauliflower and potatoes, etc. just bake and puree, or saute and puree.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• No. I want to but I don't have the time. I read an article recently that says store bought baby food is just as good as homemade nowadays, if not better. They don't put any additives in it like in the past, and the food itself has to pass high standards for freshness and the preparation has to be extremely sanitary by law. In many ways it is more sanitary than homemade baby food because it is hard to replicate that level of sterilization in the home. After reading the article, I felt a lot better about not making baby food.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I use a ice cube try and after cooking, mashing and spooning it into the tray I cover it and freeze it. You could then put it into small travel containers(I do b/c I found some really cheap! 8 for $1) or simply put each food into a zip lock baggy. It's easier for me to make my sons food in a mini bulk instead of every day. I have carrots, bananas, yams, apples all in the freezer right now. I make enough to last a few feeding per food item. I
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I just wend through this today....

I just grind up grain in the blender then just cook it like hot cereal. Then I freeze it in ice cube trays, then put it in freezer bags. Steamed veggies can be blended and frozen the same way. I do this with oatmeal or and mix it with applesauce, banana, blueberries... whatever. I also do it with rice and with quinoa. Oh, and I cook up cream of wheat, to, although, of course, that's already ground.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I just steamed fresh or frozen veggies and then ran them through the Magic Bullet with a little bit of water. For fruit, I didn't steam or peel it, just ran it through. Then I put the food into a silicone mini muffin pan and froze it. Once frozen then I put them in a zip lock bag. Then I would microwave one piece for about 20-30 seconds before serving. I never fed my daughter baby cereal.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2010